carb adjustment question? to lean-to rich

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklt040

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have learned alot on this site about saws, repairing, maintance, operation, ect.
when I have problems with a saw idleing, bogging in the cut, or if I think it is reving to high, I usually adjust the carb. I have read posts on here and some manuals that and have found that 1 1/4 turns off the seat is the starting point. I usually adjust the linkage screw untill I get the saw idleing right, the I pay attention to the sound of the saw and the exaust smoke at high speed. i like to see a slight bit of smoke and a strong rev. Then I see how it cuts. I like to run my saws a little rich. I have been mixing my fuel 40:1 Until today. I bought some of the synthetic Stihl oil in the black bottle and I mixed it 50:1. seems to be a little different.

My question is (questions are). How do you know when you are running to lean? Hi and Low speed. What is the proper way to set the linkage screw(Idle adjustment)? How easy is it to scorch a piston just by running lean doing quick revs to check you adjustment?

I have learned alot on this site about saws, repairing, maintance, operation, ect.
when I have problems with a saw idleing, bogging in the cut, or if I think it is reving to high, I usually adjust the carb. I have read posts on here and some manuals that and have found that 1 1/4 turns off the seat is the starting point. I usually adjust the linkage screw untill I get the saw idleing right, the I pay attention to the sound of the saw and the exaust smoke at high speed. i like to see a slight bit of smoke and a strong rev. Then I see how it cuts. I like to run my saws a little rich. I have been mixing my fuel 40:1 Until today. I bought some of the synthetic Stihl oil in the black bottle and I mixed it 50:1. seems to be a little different.

My question is (questions are). How do you know when you are running to lean? Hi and Low speed. What is the proper way to set the linkage screw(Idle adjustment)? How easy is it to scorch a piston just by running lean doing quick revs to check you adjustment?

Best to do a search on this. It's been covered several times and very well. I think one post even has an audio so you can hear how it should sound. Good luck!

nickt,
check out chainsawr.com they have a page call tech tips I think that has the .wav files and goes through adjusting a carb from beginning to end. They also have a lot of great parts.

Hope this helps you out.

Back