carb rebuilds ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

injun joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
ok i dont rebuild my own carbs hopefully i can learn so i can rebuild my own but anyways i take my to my stihl dealer just to give him a little business so my question is how long does it either take you guys to rebuild your own or get it back from the dealer. i have been waiting for a week and a half and still no call. I'm also having him rebuild the carb on my 090 so who knows how long that will take.

lololol...

Would that include removal, fitting and tuning? I could buy that, but even then 1 hour seems excessive. We add $15-20 to a repair for carb rebuilds.

I'm pretty sure stihls book time for warranty is 30 minutes - most saws -including removal, build, fit and test.

Last edited:
I can rebuild a carb. in 15 minutes or so. Should have the saw running and tuned in an hour. I like to do a final tune with the saw warm after cutting some wood with it.:chainsaw:

well i think a week is bad when i take just the carb by itself so all he has to do is rebuild it and call us and we do the tuning.:(

Yes, a week is excessive. I would be some kind of you know. LOL. I would start rebuilding them yourself. They are actually easy.:givebeer:

yeah well where can i find carb kits at? i would like to start on my small saws and then work my way up to the big 1's that way if something happens its more like oh well.

Just remember when rebuilding cleanliness is essential. I clean everything with a carb cleaner usually just pick it up at Wal-Mart.

I just buy mine from my local Stihl dealer. He normally has every one in stock.

Or just google the carb number on the internet. There are dozens of site with cross reference numbers for the diaphragm or complete rebuild kit. It's pretty easy if a person takes the time to do a little research.

I've done several of them in the last month. I just run carb cleaner throuh it, change the needle valve, replace the gaskets and diaphrams and put it back together. Takes about 10 minutes and they all run great. Probably takes another couple of minutes to adjust.

I suspect that;s what most of the delaers around here do. This ain't exactly the logging capital of the world and a real world class tech is not around so you are better off to learn to do it yourself.

well i would but my dealer and i dont get along i dont know why. im pretty sure he wouldnt cuz thats taking money away from him.
but i will start looking for carb kits thanks.

Last edited:
ok i dont rebuild my own carbs hopefully i can learn so i can rebuild my own but anyways i take my to my stihl dealer just to give him a little business so my question is how long does it either take you guys to rebuild your own or get it back from the dealer. i have been waiting for a week and a half and still no call. I'm also having him rebuild the carb on my 090 so who knows how long that will take.

Maybe 1/2 hour to 1 hour to do yourself. If for some reason the welch plugs have to be removed cleaned out and replaced it would take longer. Usually not needed IMO.

They are not that hard, lay out the old gaskets and diaphrams in the way they go back together so you know how to reassemble them with the new parts. Scrape off any old gasket that sticks to the metal without scratching the metal itself. I blow out passages with WD40, I reserve carb cleaner for when there is gum/varnish plugging the passages. Metering lever height needs to be adjusted, will vary based on the carb.

Latest posts

Back