carbide chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so if I can get it for cheap then is it a good deal and will it work with my bar or will I have to buy a another sprocket and bar or whatever it needs, that is my real question I will worry about sharpening once I get it and dull it, thanks guys for all the info.

hmmm... I gave you the wrong prices... The "list" for the RDS is $399 PER CHAIN, and $168.50 for the RD.... Sorry...

Just so you have a price comparison for the Ebay chain, call around you dealer and see what they would sell it for. Often on these expensive chains the prices are less then the published list price.

For the rodent: ........................................................................................................................................
Communication comes in many formats.
Try this: CUANDO MERDA TIVER VALOR, LO POBRE NASCE SEM CU . Don't understand this language ? Why not ?
Will all of us with PhD's raise their hands please.

StihlBoy440 said:
so if I can get it for cheap then is it a good deal and will it work with my bar or will I have to buy a another sprocket and bar or whatever it needs, that is my real question I will worry about sharpening once I get it and dull it, thanks guys for all the info.

If your current bar is .50 gauge and this chain is .63 gauge then it will not work on your bar. The sprocket will take either gauge.

so just a new bar (.63 gauge) and it would work, that is really all I wanted to know from my original question thanks!

I know about chain gauge they just advertise a special bar with 3 holes in it and was just wondering that is all, some of you guys just like running people down it seems,and I am not the most experienced saw man around but I aint the least either!

StihlBoy440 said:
well sorry for the incorrect english, I thought this was just a forum for discussion and not English 101. I so sorry for not doing a search on here first I will try and use my resources better in the future. I have a father who has built houses and other wooden structures for over 25 years and we never sharpen a circular saw blade on anything, now jointers and routers are a different story. The Stihl brand carbide chain is made by Rapco so I guess it is a good chain I was just wondering if it would work with a standard 20" 3/8 bar on a MS360 Pro saw.

First you will have to buy a bar grooved at .063 inch. You currently have a
.050 groove and the carbide chain will not fit. Second you should sharpen a carbide saw chain and a carbide saw blade. You will find that your saw blades will cut like they did the first day you bought them if you sharpen them.

Ordinarily, I'd agree with TreeCo. In the original post, mention was made of cutting RR ties. That, and the Terminator chain (in .404 pitch) being the most agressive carbide chain I've tried, leads me to believe there could be some benefit to StihlBoy440.

If he does buy it, it would be good to get some feedback on how well the 3/8 version works.

yeah the RR ties and variious landscape timbers we use that are really dirty most the time is the big deal I am not just buying a carbide chain just for the heck of it, I just like to have the right tool designed for the job it is being used on and the carbide seemed to fit the ticket as it eats my normal RS chain up really quick and then I gotta sharpen it again if it is not ruined after a few uses to get back to cutting firewood or downing some local trees for friends I am trying to get into the business somewhat so I am doing local jobs on our lake that I live on, but thanks for all the help you guys have given me, I have learned about chains, bars and had some English lessons also, this is a great forum!

OK, now I'm gonna tell you what I use on dirty wood. I use the RM chain...it's a lot cheaper than carbide and holds its ability to cut a lot longer than RS. Most seem to agree that that is the way to go...semi-chisel in dirty wood and full chisel in clean wood. You don't have to buy a new bar and it cuts faster than any carbide.

I think that's what TreeCo was getting at.

Latest posts

Back