Carbide teeth grinding questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx for the info, i'll chk it out...

Bob...:cheers:

Looked at the video's, would have to try it out myself on a real stump, not the rotted ones they use in the stump grinding video's, i really can't see how 6 teeth can cut as good as 18, looks like u would be constantly changing teeth, but back to sharpening, i have a green wheel and going to give it a go since things slow down during the winter and i have more time on my hands..

Bob....:cheers:

Looked at the video's, would have to try it out myself on a real stump, not the rotted ones they use in the stump grinding video's, i really can't see how 6 teeth can cut as good as 18, looks like u would be constantly changing teeth, but back to sharpening, i have a green wheel and going to give it a go since things slow down during the winter and i have more time on my hands..

Bob,

I'm going to give the "Green Wheel" a shot in the spring. I'll let you know what I find out.

Stump Bandit,

If you're reading this, I found a diamond wheel at lowes for $65 and sharpened some of my Vermeer Pro Teeth on the grinder. I was very disappointed in the speed. It sharpened; but slowly. I have done many sharpening's before with a green wheel. I wanted to get away from that cuz the dust is very bad to breath. Even wearing a respirator I found that I would be blowing black crud out my nose afterward. ( Might be my full beard not allowing a decent seal)

Doug

Sharpening teeth

Here's my $0.02 worth : I have a Vermeer 252 ( 2500+hrs) . I've used it for the last 12 yrs and it still has the original cutter wheel !! When I first started ,I used the premium Vermeer cutter teeth. With only 25 HP, when any tooth wears a bit ,production slows down. So ,long ago ,I switched to the old 1/2" x 1/2" square-shank tooth & pocket. For the last 9-10 yrs ,I have bought them fro SDM tools in Calif. Their current price is in the $2.65 range and the flat-rate ship them to me for around $13.00. I usually order in lots of 100,so I have around $2.85 tooth cost each
Around this part of NC, there's a lot of granite,flint , & quartz not counting the abrasive red clay..As soon as I feel I'm wasting time,I'll slap on a few new teeth and get back to making the chips fly
Looking at the cost of grinding wheels,removal & replacement, pairing & grinding worn teeth,etc it just doesn't make sense to me to resharpen..besides , most of the time the shank is worn also..
I pitch my worn teeth in a barrel and once a year ,I haul it to the recycler...If I really wanted to recoup more of my expense, I could melt the brazing and seperate the carbide from the shank.. but I figure the time spent plus oxy/acetelyne cost kinda makes it a wash.
Just my thoughts on the matter

Stan NCGrinder

Stump Bandit,

That diamond wheel is called a segmented diamond wheel.

Thanks for the feedback on the wheel and I will check it out. In the mean time, I did find one for 100.00 with shipping. It seems to be working ok. My new Revolution wheel will be here tomorrow for my Kan-Du. I will let you all know next week how it does. I thought I saw a post from someone else that is running a Kan-Du but now I can't find the post. If any of you are running one, I would love to compare notes. Thanks, Wes

New Revolution wheel for Kan Du

This was my first week using the new wheel on my small machine. It did not disappoint. My first job was 10 Loblolly Pine stumps that averaged 24 inch dia. This wood is not real hard but it is very fiberis. It took me 1hr 35min. to grind them. 30-40% faster than with the old wheel and almost no visible wear on the teeth. I also ground a 26 inch Oak stump that took about 15 minutes. The cost for the wheel was about $650. The Kan-du has the shaft welded to the wheel, so by the time they welded the shaft on and dressed it with teeth and sent some extra teeth, The total with shipping was $950. This is less than half what the wheel cost for my Carlton 8018TRX so I was happy with that.

This was my first week using the new wheel on my small machine. It did not disappoint. My first job was 10 Loblolly Pine stumps that averaged 24 inch dia. This wood is not real hard but it is very fiberis. It took me 1hr 35min. to grind them. 30-40% faster than with the old wheel and almost no visible wear on the teeth. I also ground a 26 inch Oak stump that took about 15 minutes. The cost for the wheel was about $650. The Kan-du has the shaft welded to the wheel, so by the time they welded the shaft on and dressed it with teeth and sent some extra teeth, The total with shipping was $950. This is less than half what the wheel cost for my Carlton 8018TRX so I was happy with that.

You ground 10 pine stumps in 1hr and 35min, that is absolutely amazing, i have a 38 hp
bandit 2550 that could not even approach that, i have had 4 grinders and none of them
could have done that, even my pto grinder, if the revolution wheel can do that then i need to order it immediately....

You ground 10 pine stumps in 1hr and 35min, that is absolutely amazing, i have a 38 hp
bandit 2550 that could not even approach that, i have had 4 grinders and none of them
could have done that, even my pto grinder, if the revolution wheel can do that then i need to order it immediately....

Hi Bob and Stan, Keep in mind that this is just grinding time. I spent another 30 minutes raking mulch into the holes but I still think that is great time. I agree with Stan. If you are going to use the half inch shank tooth, it does not make since to sharpen your teeth. When I used them, I just pitched them when they got dull. The problem I have, is that in some areas where I work, because of rock, they may get dull in 30 minutes or even lose a tip or at times just break the shank completaly. With the new wheels, the carbide is much harder. It takes much longer to dull and I have never lost a tip. I feel like the grinding time on the small grinder has increased by 30% at least and 50% on my big grinder. The other benefit that is hard to measure is how smooth the cut is. That translates to taking better care of the machine. I am still experimenting with the sharpening thing but it takes me about 3-4 minutes to sharpen a tooth on the machine so because each tooth is 13.00 I think it pays off. The tooth that is on the Revolution is Sandvik and I think it may be the same tooth that is on the Razer. They just sent me another tooth to try that has a bit different design. Thanks, Wes

Hi Bob and Stan, Keep in mind that this is just grinding time. I spent another 30 minutes raking mulch into the holes but I still think that is great time. I agree with Stan. If you are going to use the half inch shank tooth, it does not make since to sharpen your teeth. When I used them, I just pitched them when they got dull. The problem I have, is that in some areas where I work, because of rock, they may get dull in 30 minutes or even lose a tip or at times just break the shank completaly. With the new wheels, the carbide is much harder. It takes much longer to dull and I have never lost a tip. I feel like the grinding time on the small grinder has increased by 30% at least and 50% on my big grinder. The other benefit that is hard to measure is how smooth the cut is. That translates to taking better care of the machine. I am still experimenting with the sharpening thing but it takes me about 3-4 minutes to sharpen a tooth on the machine so because each tooth is 13.00 I think it pays off. The tooth that is on the Revolution is Sandvik and I think it may be the same tooth that is on the Razer. They just sent me another tooth to try that has a bit different design. Thanks, Wes

As far as taking a video of grinding the teeth. I don't know how to post it but I will get some help with that. I still don't feel like I have the grinding thing down but getting closer. Wes

U did 10 pine stumps avg 24" in 1 hr 35 min or 95 min or 9.5 min per stump, i don't know
how old they were or how deep u went but if they were flush cut to the ground and u only
went down 4" that would still be awsome, if they avg 24", that means some were 30" or more, i would love more info as i have never been able to do fresh cut pine that quick with any of the grinders i have owned, unless they were 3-4 yrs old, u would have taken a minute or so to reposition grinder on the next stump so u are probably looking at 8 min per stump, the pine i do is usually 6" above ground and has side roots just below the ground and a deep tap root, i usually grind 8-10" down at least, if the revolution wheel is really that great i need to get one asap as pine is my worst grind, maybe there is a secret to grinding pine that i don't know about but i have ground thousands of them, i would love to see a video of your grinder with that wheel doing a fresh cut pine 6" above ground and 8" deep in 8 minutes, any help u can give would really be appreciated, if u can do that with a 27hp grinder just think what i could do with a38hp bandit,,,,,any help would be appreciated...

Bob.....:cheers:

U did 10 pine stumps avg 24" in 1 hr 35 min or 95 min or 9.5 min per stump, i don't know
how old they were or how deep u went but if they were flush cut to the ground and u only
went down 4" that would still be awsome, if they avg 24", that means some were 30" or more, i would love more info as i have never been able to do fresh cut pine that quick with any of the grinders i have owned, unless they were 3-4 yrs old, u would have taken a minute or so to reposition grinder on the next stump so u are probably looking at 8 min per stump, the pine i do is usually 6" above ground and has side roots just below the ground and a deep tap root, i usually grind 8-10" down at least, if the revolution wheel is really that great i need to get one asap as pine is my worst grind, maybe there is a secret to grinding pine that i don't know about but i have ground thousands of them, i would love to see a video of your grinder with that wheel doing a fresh cut pine 6" above ground and 8" deep in 8 minutes, any help u can give would really be appreciated, if u can do that with a 27hp grinder just think what i could do with a38hp bandit,,,,,any help would be appreciated...

Bob.....:cheers:
Hi Bob, The area where I was working was a natural area and I only had to go down 4 inches and the stumps were cut very close. 3-4 inches above ground so I was able to do them in one pass and the teeth were new. I am not sure if you have seen a Kan-Du work but it is probably the fastest moving from stump to stump that I have ever seen. Maybe 15 to 20 seconds spaced at 10 to 15 ft. I just went from a 24 hp Onan to a 35 hp Briggs Vangaurd so that is a big improvement as well. We are just rapping up putting together a website and I need to get a video done of both machines. I will be glad to share when that is done. Needless to say, I am really happy with the production. Wes

Updating a year old thread...
I never did install the 900 series teeth on my RG50. Now a year and 100s of hours later I feel confident I will not like them better than running 1100s. I now have over a 100 1100s I run on both machines... (RG1642, rg50) it just makes sense to run the same teeth.
so... If there is anyone running 900s that is looking for a deal on two sets of teeth and One set of 18 (6 straight, 12 angled) pockets/bolts ...
The bolts are for the 1 1/2" wheel. I have $650 tied up in it, make me an offer if interested.
If there is anyone out there running 900s on a 50 I would like to know what you think about them.

Back