Carbon Analysis On Piston Crown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edit. Brad I see you already have some K2. I couldn't find it locally, so I ended up ordering some K2 off the net. If you can find it locally I'll likely start running it when I burn up all the R50 I have.:cheers:

They have it at the motorcycle shop 3-4 miles from here. $10/pint:dizzy: I'm surprised you didn't buy a bottle of Motul 800 while you were ordering:)

Here's a quote from an acquantance of mine that doesn't post here. This came from another Klotz tech that he talked to.

"R50 = Not alcohol compatible.

The R50 is ok to be used with e-10 but not recommended and e-15 is pushing the limits he said.
He also recommends R50 to be used with race gas or pure gas only for best results."

So maybe it is a fuel related problem. The only pure unleaded I can get here is race gas at $7-$8/gallon.

So you've been holding out on me, have ya?:greenchainsaw: It's kind of ironic that we both switched oils and to the same one at the same time.

lol I told Nik a few weeks ago that I was interested in K2, but I didn't tell him I switched oils yet. I was told about 6 months ago by a Klotz rep that R50 was fine with pump gas up up 15%, I'm more concerned with this than the carbon build up. IMHO

I'm not picking on ya', Brad, but this thread has me laughing here. I'm with the guys that just buy Stihl Ultra and run it in 89 pump gas.

I can see the quest for oil being an extension of the hobby. My quest would be for something as good and simple to use as the Stihl Ultra that costs far less. Everytime I read an oil thread like this I start thinking that maybe I could find such an oil, I know it's out there. But the practical (lazy?) side of me just keeps going with what works.

Mr. HE:cool:

I'm not picking on ya', Brad, but this thread has me laughing here. I'm with the guys that just buy Stihl Ultra and run it in 89 pump gas.

I can see the quest for oil being an extension of the hobby. My quest would be for something as good and simple to use as the Stihl Ultra that costs far less. Everytime I read an oil thread like this I start thinking that maybe I could find such an oil, I know it's out there. But the practical (lazy?) side of me just keeps going with what works.

That's OK. I'm used to it. I've been like this all my life and I understand that it would drive a lot of people crazy. I actually enjoy the quest.:cheers:

A couple more polyolester oils to consider are: Silkolene Pro 2T, Maxima K2, and Motul 800 2T. Call me paranoid if you like:), but I like the idea of running 32:1 if I can. I may just buy a bottle of each of these and see how they do. I may also just throw some R50 in there at 50:1 and see how that does. Yes, I know I'm over analyzing this, but I enjoy it.

I find it fun as well. R50 is still great oil IMHO. We'll get to see the inside of a few saws that have been ran on nothing but R50 in a few hours.:clap:

That's OK. I'm used to it. I've been like this all my life and I understand that it would drive a lot of people crazy. I actually enjoy the quest.:cheers:

No problem with you enjoying it at all. I figure on of these days I'll dig up these old threads and pick another oil to try. When that happens I'll be glad you and others have taken the trouble to try new things and share your experience with the rest of us.

I'm really surprised that this thread has been so civil. Almost gives me hope...:cheers:

I'm really surprised that this thread has been so civil. Almost gives me hope...:cheers:

How much good info can you get from a guy who doesn't heat with wood, doesn't sell wood, doesn't cut wood for a living, but merely putzes around in his back yard on a stick or three a week, with more chainsaws than trees to cut? Not making any accusations, just food for thought. :)

Last edited:
A very interesting thread indeed.

Motul 800 Off Road is a (single ester) based syn. oil with spl cleaning additives for moto cross engines that do not get stripped down as often as roadrace do.

Motul 800 Road Race is a (double ester) and from what i remember reading, it does not keep the engine as clean, but doesn't need to because of the regular rebuild's.

If you give Motul 800 a try, go for the Off Road one. :chainsaw:

It's refreshing!:clap:

Motul 800 Off Road is a (single ester) based syn. oil with spl cleaning additives for moto cross engines that do not get stripped down as often as roadrace do.

Motul 800 Road Race is a (double ester) and from what i remember reading, it does not keep the engine as clean, but doesn't need to because of the regular rebuild's.

If you give Motul 800 a try, go for the Off Road one. :chainsaw:

Excellent info! Thanks for the post.

I'm with the group that also says 89 pump gas, Stihl Ultra or Baileys synthetic at 50:1, during the fall and winter firewood cutting we've burned as much as twelve gallon of mix in a week, prolly average between 7-8.5 gallon during the average cutting week. I know we're not milling, but the guys that run the saws all the time, I run as much as health allows, run the pizz out of them, they get shut down for fuel and bar oil, one fifteen minute break between eight and twelve, thirty minute lunch and one fifteen minute break between lunch and 0'dark thirty. I can't image much harder use, unless milling.
We do noodle alot of out bigger pieces and that practice seems as tough as any on a saw. I think 50:1 with a good oil is plenty of protection unless milling. I'll prolly start a can of worms but the Stihl tech I've used for years claims that the saws will survive on 70:1-80:1 during "normal" operation during
Stihls engine testing. I can't say if he's full of **** or that's the skinny from Stihl. I just know that Ultra or Baileys syn at 50:1 works for us in tough conditions with no excessive carbon fouling or saw failure.

I know I prolly violating some rule, but for those interested, do a little searching on Bob's the Oil Guy, it's a site for oil related topics just as involved as this site is with saws and the like. Tons of good info there.

I'm with the group that also says 89 pump gas, Stihl Ultra or Baileys synthetic at 50:1, during the fall and winter firewood cutting we've burned as much as twelve gallon of mix in a week, prolly average between 7-8.5 gallon during the average cutting week. I know we're not milling, but the guys that run the saws all the time, I run as much as health allows, run the pizz out of them, they get shut down for fuel and bar oil, one fifteen minute break between eight and twelve, thirty minute lunch and one fifteen minute break between lunch and 0'dark thirty. I can't image much harder use, unless milling.
We do noodle alot of out bigger pieces and that practice seems as tough as any on a saw. I think 50:1 with a good oil is plenty of protection unless milling. I'll prolly start a can of worms but the Stihl tech I've used for years claims that the saws will survive on 70:1-80:1 during "normal" operation during
Stihls engine testing. I can't say if he's full of **** or that's the skinny from Stihl. I just know that Ultra or Baileys syn at 50:1 works for us in tough conditions with no excessive carbon fouling or saw failure.

I know I prolly violating some rule, but for those interested, do a little searching on Bob's the Oil Guy, it's a site for oil related topics just as involved as this site is with saws and the like. Tons of good info there.

Smart man. :cheers:

mmmmm..... I can eat more strawberry's than a donkey :laugh:

Best try some of that motul then.

Latest posts

Back