Carbon Analysis On Piston Crown

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only a fool would challenge Tzed's results. I've taken a lot of saws apart. I've had a lot of cylinders shipped to me for machining. His is so rare, I'm astonished with the results. They are NOT typical. Whatever he's doing, he's doing right. Whatever I've been doing, is what I intend to keep doing. The reason for that is the fact that my results are leaps and bounds (albeit, not ahead of Tzed's) ahead of whatever else I've seen.

In the end, I think premium fuel, mixed with premium synthetic oil will yield good results. Brad's 440 piston is puzzling...

In the end, I think premium fuel, mixed with premium synthetic oil will yield good results. Brad's 440 piston is puzzling...

I don't think it is that puzzling.
I think the gasoline he is buying is WAY too high of a grade to run in a saw.
Just as most of the people on this site.

Mike

I don't think it is that puzzling.
I think the gasoline he is buying is WAY too high of a grade to run in a saw.
Just as most of the people on this site.

Mike

My saws run premium unleaded. The octane is not needed, but I believe the detergent package is better.

only a fool would challenge Tzed's results. I've taken a lot of saws apart. I've had a lot of cylinders shipped to me for machining. His is so rare, I'm astonished with the results. They are NOT typical. Whatever he's doing, he's doing right. Whatever I've been doing, is what I intend to keep doing. The reason for that is the fact that my results are leaps and bounds (albeit, not ahead of Tzed's) ahead of whatever else I've seen.

Like they say...your mileage may vary. If your saws are running cleaner on what you are using then they did on Ultra, then why change back?

I just made the switch to the synthetic Bailey's sells (from locally purchased Husky dino), and I'm running it at 40:1 until I get the woods cleared. We'll see how it looks after that.

Wish I cut enough to warrant paying the shipping on the 5 gallon pail they are selling for $90!

Like they say...your mileage may vary. If your saws are running cleaner on what you are using then they did on Ultra, then why change back?

I just made the switch to the synthetic Bailey's sells (from locally purchased Husky dino), and I'm running it at 40:1 until I get the woods cleared. We'll see how it looks after that.

Wish I cut enough to warrant paying the shipping on the 5 gallon pail they are selling for $90!

I'd be more concerned about a Husky's ability to go through that much mix then I would the shipping charges...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

LOL, if that was wrong, I don't wanna be right!!!!

In that case, I've got good news for you!

You are right though, you get a lot more trees per gallon from a Husky!

The real issue is the thought of 5-gallons of oil frightens you because you have commitment issues. You can't run the same brand or mix for more than 3 tanks before switching!

The real issue is the thought of 5-gallons of oil frightens you because you have commitment issues. You can't run the same brand or mix for more than 3 tanks before switching!

I'm getting the feeling that nail has been hit squarely on it's head.

No offense to anyone here, but to old saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and the other classic "we don't have to reinvent the wheel" comes to mind.

I run 36:1 in my saws and dont have carbon build up like that! Super technilplate.

I could be wrong but that just seems like a lot of earl. I'll keep running the 50:1 or more like 45:1 since I do the .9 gal per bottle deal like mentioned earlier. Since the Ultra well exceeds all the current oil tests, I don't think you can find a better oil.

This may be of interest to some of you, i have a Stihl KM130 combi that gets used for grass cutting/trimming, hedge cutting and also a little path clearing with blower attachment.

It's over 1yr old now and usually only sees light use.

Anyway, after the first couple of tanks of mix using regular Stihl hp oil, i made the decision to switch to Amsoil Saber Pro and mix it at 50/1 ratio.

I lost count how many tanks of Amsoil mix it has had, but i would guess about 10 or so tanks mixed with Shell high octane but also some regular octane shell too.

Well, after reading this excellent thread, i decided to remove the plug and take a look at the piston crown with a flashlight, and to my total amazement the piston crown is totally clean of any carbon deposits that i can see.

Looking at it through the spark plug hole, it looks just like a new piston that has never been run. Weird.

The plug is not so clean, with some deposits but nothing out of the ordinary and has a good color.

What baffles me more is that i trimmed the limiter stop on the high speed jet about the middle of last year and backed it out another 1/8th of a turn to make it run a little richer/cooler. After doing this, i always had doubts as to how clean it would stay inside.

I don't know what the valves and seats look like, but fingers crossed, i hope they look like that piston crown.

Edit: Forgot to mention, i don't need to run it at full throttle very often because it does not need full throttle, and also i hate the sound of it bouncing off the rev limiter.

Last edited:
Valves

Since the piston top looks so good, I don't think you have to be concerned about the 'valve seats'.

I didn't read the whole thread yet, so sorry if it's already been said,

I have always used 20:1, I use either Motul 800 or Silkolene Pro2 SX which have calcium sulfonate additive which is a detergent that works on ring belt deposits and is a rust/corrosion inhibitor. BelRay H1R uses an Antimony compound which has similar properties. Elf sport 2 competition is another all ester product with high detergent levels.

Even with 20:1 I do not get deposits, maybe a little brownish fluff on the piston top. The only annoying aspect is the exhaust is very oily on things like string trimmers that are not under a high load all the time.

I think the gas itself can cause a lot of deposits, not always the oils fault.
Try a few months with a leaded gas like Sunoco standard.

Latest posts

Back