Carburetor Problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbug

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get a Husqvarna 61 running and I am starting to think I have some carb issues. I have spark (tested), good fuel, clean filter. I checked and then set the Carb with a 61 manual I found online, 1 out on L and H. When I gave it a small squirt of starting fluid it fired up strong but died quickly. It has a tilloston/tralee carb the saw I believe is a 93 model with a serial # of 3141354.

Can anyone tell me if the carb settings I found are correct, do these carbs have problems, or any diagnosis or tips they want to pass on.

Thanks

my guess is to take the carb apart,be careful not to tear gaskets or the diaphram, spray it with carb cleaner, put it back together and it should run

thanks for the info I was hoping I was missing something that would make for a quick fix. Any recomendations on where to buy carb kits for it?

thanks for the info I was hoping I was missing something that would make for a quick fix. Any recomendations on where to buy carb kits for it?

I'd check the fuel line, fuel filter and impulse line before tearing the carb apart. Make sure the fuel and impulse lines are connected and in good condition . Check that the element in the fuel filter isn't coming apart.

but if you get the carburetor off you can check the vacuum holes that pass from the cylinder through the manifold to the carb...sometimes this passage way becomes blocked with carbon

Maybe the inlet screen is plugged with sawdust. Seen that before from a bad filter. Cleaned it out and it was good to go until I had more time to do a good job of cleaning.

I'd probably just rebuild the carb and replace the gaskets. Why tug on your hair when kits are cheap and the process of rebuilding is a cinch?

Edit: I would also check the fuel line and filter. I keep plenty of tubing laying around - if the fuel line has started to get stiff, then replace it. It's a good idea to replace the fuel filter regularly, whether it truly needs it or not. They're too cheap to let them piss you off. Also check the gas tank ventilation. If the tank can't breathe, then your saw can't drink.

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the advice. I was up at my dad's today and he offered to take it to his saw guy before I tore it apart. The problem was a stuck needle valve. $8 dollars later we took it out and cut and split a cord and half of fire wood with his new splitter.
I suppose the stuck needle is a sign that it probably needs to be rebuilt soon.

Latest posts

Back