Carlos the animal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a latino guy who works with me from time to time doing various things. About 1 1/2 years ago while working on the side of a rocky hill he busted up over 3 cords of ash wood by himself with an axe, plus he helped to load it. At the end of the day he was happy, but tired. This past winter he worked for a business associate of mine splitting wood with a hydraulic splitter. He barely did 2 cords of straight red maple logs, and at the end of the day was grumpy... swore to never work for that guy again. Today I gave Carlos an axe and a maul... he started working a little after 9:00... for various reasons that are MY fault. By 3:30 he had busted up about 2 cords of big, knotty swamp maple logs... plus a very small amount of red maple, and maybe 10 small pieces of ash. He was tired, but very happy... this was by himself, by hand. When I told another associate who had helped me drop the trees that all the logs were split and loaded... he thought I had brought 2 guys with me, because he couldn't believe that 1 guy had done all that. He said he's gotta shake this guy's hand, and hire him for some work he has. The guy is a real splitting animal when you give him some good hand tools.

I have a latino guy who works with me from time to time doing various things. About 1 1/2 years ago while working on the side of a rocky hill he busted up over 3 cords of ash wood by himself with an axe, plus he helped to load it. At the end of the day he was happy, but tired. This past winter he worked for a business associate of mine splitting wood with a hydraulic splitter. He barely did 2 cords of straight red maple logs, and at the end of the day was grumpy... swore to never work for that guy again. Today I gave Carlos an axe and a maul... he started working a little after 9:00... for various reasons that are MY fault. By 3:30 he had busted up about 2 cords of big, knotty swamp maple logs... plus a very small amount of red maple, and maybe 10 small pieces of ash. He was tired, but very happy... this was by himself, by hand. When I told another associate who had helped me drop the trees that all the logs were split and loaded... he thought I had brought 2 guys with me, because he couldn't believe that 1 guy had done all that. He said he's gotta shake this guy's hand, and hire him for some work he has. The guy is a real splitting animal when you give him some good hand tools.

That there is the kind of guy that more guys should be like.

Bust yer nuts kinda guy !!!

They are few and far between...

When I look at the Old Loggin photos,on this site, I could see him right up there with those guys.

Just hope he has Family time though...

Enough... he usually gets $120 per day, but yesterday due to the fact he busted his ass, and it was rather hot, I gave him $200. Besides, I got well over $300 in wood out of him, that I was being paid to get rid of anyways.

splitting animals

I know a guy like that a farm boy that was brougt up with hard WORK. when this guy splits wood he sounds just like carlos. just a happy camper. i let him use a set of wedges and my 8# maul last season and he cracked the maul and mushroomed the wedges almost beyond repair in one weekend. guys that bust a$$ like that are VERY few and far between!!

We have a guy like that in our deer camp. He was just born that way, never lifted weights or worked out. We split about 4 cords for deer season each year, and he races the hydraulic splitter, swinging an 8 pound maul. This year I went and cut a 30" soft maple butt just for the race. The cycle time on the splitter is less than 20 seconds, and he had his log in 8 pieces long before the splitter crew each time. ( he uses no gas, but you must have a pitcher of beer handy for him! )

Sounds like your taking good care of Carlos. I try to work like that sometimes but I guess I don't have enough "animal" in me....:laugh:

I've cut split and stacked a cord in a day but I had a few long breaks!:D :D My knotty 2' diameter beech makes you want to sit down and think about why you don't have a hydraulic splitter quite often!

nothing new in that... where my dad came from there were several lumberjacks who could've done +12 meters of firewood a day (thats 12 m^3), but that was at good old days when ppl worked at farm when they were old enough to carry a bucket...

Back