Carlton 8018 clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I believe my clutch is toast. Stays engaged and will not disengage. Anyone ever change a clutch? How hard was it? Looks like its probably going to the dealer on Monday.

I believe my clutch is toast. Stays engaged and will not disengage. Anyone ever change a clutch? How hard was it? Looks like its probably going to the dealer on Monday.[/QUOTE
Is your adustment good? You should have just a little bit of free play on the lever that sticks out of the bell housing. If you have too much, it may not be able to push it in enough to disengage. If the adustment is good, you may a broken finger on the pressure plate. The clutch disc may be fine but I'd replace it anyways. There are spring dampeners in the center of the disc to absorb vibrations that get fatigued and break.

I put a new clutch in mine last year and it wasn't too bad. You don't need to go through the dealer. I bought everything from a power drive component shop. I think the clutch disc was around $80 I think having the flywheel surfaced and a new pilot bearing pressed in was around $100. I ended up replacing the PTO and housing. shaft bearing, (tail shaft bearing) was bad and scored the shaft and wore into the housing . The whole unit was around $400 right from Mccleland. Replace the throw out bearing as well. These machines have a big flaw in that you really can't lube the trow out bearing. Every hour the machine is running with the wheel dis-engaged the trow out bearing is spinning. When the wheel is engaged, it's not spinning because the it's turning with the pressure plate

Thanks Moe for the info! I have adjusted it as far as the lever while go with it touching the housing. I have been re-adjusting the past year and now its too its end. I called my dealer on friday afternoon and he said they could get it in on Monday morning and should actually be done by Monday night. I guess I better bring my wallet and some. Thanks again Moe!

Latest posts

Back