carlton 900h stumper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1I'dJak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone used this model...I was pricing stumpgrinders from the vancouver carlton dealer and this one was light and quasi affordable...the next model up the was almost 10 g's....I was wondering if this little 13 hp rig is any good.... obviously i wouldn't be doing any big monster stumps with this... another stump grinder this outfit sold was bosco...anyone ever hear of them?
thanx,
Jak

It depends. Possibly for very small stumps.

I haven't used that grinder. there are others out there that use that same 13 hp honda engine. I would imagine that for small stumps, it would be acceptable to you. You might want to check around and see if there is one available for rent. It would be worth trying one out first. Make sure it has sharp teeth.
For what it's worth.... one of the main factors in efficient stump grinding is the spinning mass of the cutter wheel along with sharp cutters. Of course you need a big enough engine to keep that wheel spinning under load (as in cutting).
The Carlton 900 model you're considering will be lacking in this area. I don't think there is enough mass to that wheel.
In that price range, I'd consider an Alpine Magnum(do a search here and on Google).
This grinder also has a small cutter wheel. From what I can tell(keep in mind, I don't own one...yet. ;-) )
But the design of the grinder allows you to apply a lot of leverage. With the Carlton 900, you're looking at. All you have is the weight of the wheel to apply downward pressure into the stump.
I have never heard of the other brand you mentioned.
I would consider the Alpine Magnum.
Hope this helps.

Take care,
Mitch

Do a search here-lots of info on these little grinders.

I wouldn't buy new when you can pick up a rental retiree at 1/4 the cost of new. There's just not very much to go wrong on these little units and the Carltons, Raycos, Bluebirds, Huskies and Doscos are all basically the same. Personally, I think a used Dosco is a must have for every tree company's inventory. Stay away from the Vemeers-a complete POS.

Put some sharp Rayco teeth on it, cancel your gym membership and have fun!

have you taken a look at the bluebird/husquvarna 13hp eqivelant? i have one and it does well for stumps up to 12", obviously you could use it on much bigger stumps but it just depends on how long you want to be there? im a full time stump grinder in vancouver, mabey we could work a deal out? otherwise, the old folks at northland chipperswill do their best to help you out in your discission. chow

DYNAMIC STUMP GRINDING - 778-840-9321

Back