Carlton Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Typhoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious, but for those who have used it... how do you stack Carlton chain up against other chain manufacturers? I just started using it a few weeks ago, and thus far, I love it! Seems very durable.
Thanks.

yep from what ive seen its as good as the others. what i use is their version of oregon lg and stihl rs..half way thru my first cup ,an cant think of what they callit.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel

I have tried Oregon in the past but have never been happy with their .325 or 3/8"lp chains, too soft and they do not hold an edge very long.

Yep, oregon chains arent hard enough for my needs either, they break bend, and get dull too fast for me, I've had one that was razor sharp and it went dull in one cut through a 4" dia little sapling! amazing how the oregon chain has become so crappy. I run Carlton chains exclusivly because of their quality and stay sharp capabilities, the chains stay sharper longer take more of the beatings I dish out and ask for more and the Carlton chain works HARD every day all day no matter what. I just cant say enough good things about those people and the wonderful chains they sell. And I get most of my chains at home depot too. I dont trust the moron over at the saw shop locally. I think I'll order from Jeff soon.

Yeah these are the responses I thought I would see. Because, I have used 4 different brands of chain, and this is definately the best so far.. Fact is, I go through a lot of chain, and this stuff has all other prices beat. I am getting it for about 4.00 less than what the husqvarna chain runs. Seems to have a slightly longer tooth too. I use the narrow kerf stuff for my 346xp and 2 350's.
-Brad

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
I started running Carlton a few months ago after Jeff Sikkema sent me a loop for my PP346.

How do you get ahold of jeff to order some carlton chain?

I like the Carlton chain.

Rocky... 3-4 times and that's all????

I use and sharpen mine till there's practically nothing left to the cutters.

Since I don't use my climbing saw on the ground, I get roughly 3 or 4 months out of a chain- maybe 20 or 30 "tough-ups".

I don't have any original bars on my saws. I have GB pro-tops on all of them. Jeff S. has got me hooked now on GB bars and Carlton chain. As far as the chain goes, I always assumed that the chain I was using before was made by husqvarna. It is the Low-Vib stuff in the orange Husqvarna box, and has "husq" stamped on the links. I think maybe "H-30" or something was the number on it. And I always assumed that the 95VP chain by Oregon was the equivalent chain, but made by Oregon instead of Husqvarna. But RJS you are saying they are both made by Oregon? Carlton is the best so far for me, but I must say the Low-Vib chain in the Husqvarna box is great stuff too!

I called a local lawn mower shop the other day to see what services they provide. I asked if they sold chainsaw chain, etc. Answer, is yes. I remembered seeing the accolades for carlton here. So, I asked about it. He called it cheap chain, and it sounded as if he preferred oregon better. But, I told him that's not what I heard.

Originally posted by netree
I'll bet he doesn't make a living running a chain saw, either.

Yeah, I bet he doesn't either. I'd heard all the good comments here, and I even asked him to repeat. I said, "what did you say"? I was surprised by his comment, since I've heard nothing but good about Carlton chain.

I'm guessing he's like me, just does not know.

.404" pitch Carlton is the best .404" chain available. It is better than Stihl .404" because the Carlton cutter has a more aggressive profile. The Stihl "Classic" is a very good .375" pitch chain, possibly the best on the market right now.

I was at a dealer today picking up some parts, so I ask if they carried Carlton chain. (I like supporting local dealers when possible)

They replied no, they only handled oregon chains. I proceeded to tell him about the feedback from pro's about oregon chains being too soft.

He replied he had heard that too. He offered a new theory that oregon chains offered by major home improvement stores and oregon offered by dealers are different.

The one's offered by proffessional dealers were harder than the chains offered by home impr stores.

Any truth to his claims?

Probably not, the chain I have gotten from the home improvement stores and dealers is the same crap. I bought oregon chains for a while because they were cheaper than Carlton, but then I learned tha carlton chains may cost more but are less prone to wear than oregon chains, and in the long run the Carlton chain is cheaper. I have learned that no matter where you get carlton chains, they are great high quality chains, I am running a 3/8 Carlton A1C safety chain on my Homelite 330 but it cuts like a machete through a loaf of bread. No complaints about carlton chains from me, not unless they get like oregon and turn into crap that aint worth S#$#. Then I'll go to something like stihl chains even though they are more pricey than the others, and I have to ride 20 miles on bike to get em.

I am using Carlton chisel chain on my MS260G and have been really happy with it. As Rocky mentioned it doesnt have a witness mark, which irritates me, but for the price and quality its good stuff.
JJ, What is Stihl "classic" chain? I have never seen any chisel chain from Stihl other than the RS variants.

Stihl RSK

Hey Ben,
Stihl RSK- that is RS Classic with a "K" is a wider kurf version of the RS or Super Rapid chain...

its claimed to be better on longer bars and perhaps in JJ's neck of the woods up in the north west it is better but we don't see much around here in the midwest...

pic from Stihl literature

here is the entire Stihl bar and chain catalog

on .pdf I'm sure that Stihl won't mind (I'll probably have the Stihl SS after me now). Better download quick and save to your HD...

I can buy Carlton chain cheaper than Oregon and it's much better. At the cheap price I got it for I thought it would be no good but it holds up better. Fred

Carlton chain is not polished up and blued to as nice a finish as Stihl or oregon but what is window dressing worth in a horse race? The fit of the inside of the drive link holes seems to be every bit as precise as Stihl and the cutters are as hard as you could have them and still file them. Stihl has a factory grind that is slightly faster out of the box than Carlton but after you sharpen each one once that difference is gone.

Frank

Latest posts

Back