Carpenter ants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note that carpenter ants "eat" what the grubs and natural rot leave behind. The carpenter ant is somewhat of a misnamed insect. As said earlier, dry wood is not what they want. On the other hand, the boring insects, such as the tiger beetle, go after the dry wood and dig tunnels like skilled engineers:

I just leave them there. They dont eat the wood, so they wont be infesting the rest of the pile. If theyre still there by winter, they'll get burned.

There is one insecticide that will kill them -- Melathion. Unfortunately, you can only use it outdoors because it stinks. Ants are not on the list of what bugs it kills, but it will zap them. The problem is, the queen keeps laying eggs, so unless you nail her, you will not get rid of the ants.

I get them in dry wood to. Just moved a couple blocks of black locust today full of them.
I keep ant infested wood outside, preferably separate and try to get those pieces straight in to the firebox. Some I let sit through the winter in the woods after splitting,making it easier for the woodpeckers and cold to get them and most seem to disappear in a few winter months.

It's my understanding they need damp wood to survive... they need the moisture. I've never had them stick around after the wood is split, stacked and starts to dry. But I do stack my firewood uncovered out in open sun and wind... possibly it's different in a shed or under cover?? And maybe... I don't know... but stacked out in the open like that, maybe the mice, snakes, birds, spiders, and whatnot help to eradicate them (shrug).

i have been fighting them for 20 years ,when i first started to clear the trees to build my house. they seem to really like black birch and i always find them yearly. we had them in the house by the hundreds and hired a exterminator to finally get them out.
and like ray benson said i also give them a drink when i see them.

It's my understanding they need damp wood to survive... they need the moisture. I've never had them stick around after the wood is split, stacked and starts to dry. But I do stack my firewood uncovered out in open sun and wind... possibly it's different in a shed or under cover?? And maybe... I don't know... but stacked out in the open like that, maybe the mice, snakes, birds, spiders, and whatnot help to eradicate them (shrug).
I've had the red and black ants move in to my seasoned piles....

i have seen the framing in houses falling apart from ants, drywood i would think after years in the wall.

Back