Carpenter Worms.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pa Pa Jack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Towards the end of the summer in 2011, I noticed a red oak on my property dropping it's leaves. It was dying. This is a huge tree. Maybe 60 feet tall and about 30 inches in diameter at chest height. I finally dropped the tree in January and limbed it but never got to cut it up.

Well, I spent this weekend cutting it into rounds and began splitting it. I noticed huge holes in the heartwood. Then I noticed a grub about 3 inches long. I found a lot of them. I searched Google and came up with the Carpenter Worm. Some of them were over 3 inches long.

View attachment 271533

It seems that there is very little I can do to protect my other oaks, but is the wood still good to burn? Will the worms continue to eat away at it while it dries? Anyone know anything else about this worm ?

It will burn fine. As far as I know the worms burn good also. The red oak I split last had them also.

A lot if not all the red oak I split has them. I get a few big grubs, a few little skinny guys, and a few that have flat wide heads. They may all be the same Worm/grub but in different ages/stages. I just chuck them aside or leave them be figuring they'll freeze soon enough.

I just split some wood the other day and found one.but I think most bugs are hibernating in the winter. I no for sure the big black ants do.

A lot if not all the red oak I split has them. I get a few big grubs, a few little skinny guys, and a few that have flat wide heads. They may all be the same Worm/grub but in different ages/stages. I just chuck them aside or leave them be figuring they'll freeze soon enough.

Toss them aside for a snack later. Good protein:hmm3grin2orange:

If ya get a bunch of them...use for fish bait alive or frozen...bream & catfish and most fish can't resist them!:msp_thumbup:

Grubs & worms in wood usually make for a nice popping fire. If you have an open fire place, make sure you have a good grate in front of it... I had some Maple last year that had a bunch of wasp larvae in it. Don't recall the particular wasp but they are the big ones with super long tails. Nasty looking but I don't think they mess with people too much... Anywho, that stuff popped like crazy! Burned good though.

I cut some trees last year that were infested with these carpenter worms. Never seen the like before.
treecarpenterworm0141.jpg

treecarpenterworm0101.jpg

Last edited:
Have you actually used them for fish bait?
From a child on up...excellent under a bobber fished about 6-8 inch's off the bottom or fished tight line...deadly on Smallmouth when tossed up against a Rip-Rap on a 1/4 or 1/2 ounce jig head or around big boulders...try em next to any type cover with a # 8 long shank Tru-Turn hook....and hang on!:msp_thumbup:

[QUOTE=Sagetown I cut some trees last year that were infested with these carpenter worms. Never seen the like before.

Ive ffound some look like that in dead poplar, big ones, land shrimp size, ha! and yep, take em to the pond, bass and bluegills will nail them hard.

The ants and worms, When done splitting, put a couple chickens by the pile. Bugs be gone, the protien goes straight in the egg, then yo belly.

Latest posts

Back