Case trenching/matching... let’s hear first hand experience ‘open port cylinders’

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawPonder

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any good real world info on trenching/matching your case to the cylinders’ air transfer areas?

What saw are you working on?
Post up some pictures.
Every saw I've been into didnt need or have room for case trenching as the case was already as big or bigger than the cylinder ports. I had to make the bottom of the ports bigger on the cylinder to match the case.
I dont like to add case volume unless it adds a bunch of flow.

What saw are you working on?
Post up some pictures.
Every saw I've been into didnt need or have room for case trenching as the case was already as big or bigger than the cylinder ports. I had to make the bottom of the ports bigger on the cylinder to match the case.
I dont like to add case volume unless it adds a bunch of flow.
Was mainly interested in the open port setups like the 61, 66, 268 where the transfer ports almost look like they are being blocked by the case, right where both mating surfaces are.

I've never looked closely at those cylinders, most everyone gets a closed port top end for those saws. Seeing how those saws are meant to have close ports on them I can see the open port not lining up perfect.
Unless you're just messing around with those saws for something to do, its kinda silly not to run a 66 or 72 closed port cylinder on them.

Back