Caterpillar damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOMOREGEARS

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Upstate NY was hit particularly hard this year with Gypsy Moths, and Forest Tent Caterpillars. We've also had our share of the tent caterpillars that go after fruit trees. Does this kill the trees? I see 100-200 acre blocks of completely defoliated trees. The oaks, ash and maples look like they took the biggest hit.
Years ago our neighborhood bought green lacewings and released them. Apparently these good bugs lay their eggs in the caterpillars. Eventually killing the caterpillar. I don't mean a few cocoons, they spent quite a bit of money. We have not seen an infestation since then.
Are there any other control methods?
Thanks

I don't no about control. Gypsy moths can kill already weakened trees but normally, no. Caterpillars I do think they kill the tree after a season or two. Without the leaves the tree gets dry and dies. I noticed the gypsy moth damage coming down the thruway last weekend. I thought how nice of them to open up the canopy for the smaller trees.

As for controll methods on fruit trees and other trees spraying the caterpillars with a mix of dish soap and water kills them. We've had them bad here I've sprayed several apple trees early and kills hundreds of them so far. It does take so time but it works well. Maybe all this rain will wash them away.

caterpillar control

A bacteria called Bacillus thuringiensis{B.T.for short)
controls caterpillars. I use it in my garden to control
tomatoe hornworm.cabbage worm,red humped caterpillar.and lawn moth. It also controls gypsimoth, tent caterpillarss and bag worn.You add the concentrate to water and spray it on the leaves. When the larvae eat the bacteria they stop feeding and die in a day or so. The larvae turn black when they die amd start producing more spores.I hope I have helped/

Last edited:
Back