Caterpillar Friction Savor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgreanbeans

Treeaculterologist
Reaction score
Caterpillar Friction Savers for up to 5/8" Lines, 4 lengths : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

Just bought a couple of these, a 2ft and a 4ft. I love them! This was a good idea, looks like they used electric conduit and put coatings on it, not sure, but it works great. I used it on a pretty gnarly birch with tight crotches. I set the line in the tree with out it first, ran it thru a real tight TIP. I had a lot of friction, could barley advance my line. Set in the Caterpillar, and it was a big difference. Felt like I was on a pulley, real easy and smooth. It will not collapse, I tried. So getting it stuck would be pretty difficult. When I went to get it out of the tree, just a couple a flings of the line and here it comes. Setting it is real easy from the ground, set your line, tie a slipknot on the back side of it and pull!

I have the other FS types, but think they all suck. Rings have too sharp of a bend ratio, IMO, and the leather will collapse and bite in on a tight TIP, making it real hard to remove. This takes care of both. The one thing I noticed, they lay flat and are black, easy to loose. So I painted them bright orange, to match my purple and yellow scwrenches:msp_razz:

Think Sherrill did good on this one.

Last edited:
frictionsaver

Caterpillar Friction Savers for up to 5/8" Lines, 4 lengths : SherrillTree Tree Care Equipment

Just bought a couple of these, a 2ft and a 4ft. I love them! This was a good idea, looks like they used electric conduit and put coatings on it, not sure, but it works great. I used it on a pretty gnarly birch with tight crotches. I set the line in the tree with out it first, ran it thru a real tight TIP. I had a lot of friction, could barley advance my line. Set in the Caterpillar, and it was a big difference. Felt like I was on a pulley, real easy and smooth. It will not collapse, I tried. So getting it stuck would be pretty difficult. When I went to get it out of the tree, just a couple a flings of the line and here it comes. Setting it is real easy from the ground, set your line, tie a slipknot on the back side of it and pull!

I have the other FS types, but think they all suck. Rings have too sharp of a bend ratio, IMO, and the leather will collapse and bite in on a tight TIP, making it real hard to remove. This takes care of both. The one thing I noticed, they lay flat and are black, easy to loose. So I painted them bright orange, to match my purple and yellow scwrenches:msp_razz:

Think Sherrill did good on this one.

should work well, this type of item has been used by riggers with larger diameter rope for years. the product is called "sealtite" and can be purchased at any electrical supply house. also required are a small screw-in bushing for each end of the sealtite which protects the rope from being cut buy the steel inner core.(we secure them with a dab of epoxy so they don't unscrew from the sealtite). just a note, a 3' pc of sealtite w/2 end bushings that 5/8 rope will pass thru should cost 10-15$. regards, tom.

Great When Butt Catching Too!

I have a 2ft one and I love it, I hated the ring systems they take to long to set and when they are high up I cant always tell what side is what. I found that the caterpillar works great when butt catching. I like to place my climbing line around the tree just under my timber hitch and sometimes the timber hitch will shift down and then I cant move my line. With the caterpillar in the equation I can always move my line after the catch. I think it would also protect my climbing line from the impact block smashing it. Good to know I can make one! I think I will look for the stuff.

I haven't used one, but our crane crew climber had one on his non-crane climbing line, I forget if its poison ivy or tachyon, and loved it. However, after a couple times being pulled out of the tree, one of the coils broke and his line got hung up. Just a heads up that it can happen. I forgot to take pictures of it, ordinarily i like having proof before pointing out a negative about a pretty good product.

My only worry would be if the screw in ends would come lose while using it, and you didnt know it. The sharp end could sever your rope and that would be the end of it. Maybe they cant come out, but Idk. I would like to hear how they hold up to the test of time and then maybe i will get one.

Like any piece of gear, inspect often and replace when appropriate. They're only $14 so Id have no problem retiring it with the slightest defect. Ive been doing a lot of splicing lately though, and can make a ring friction saver for about $12 my cost. I'm going to make a pulley saver soon though, I really like the new trapeze shackles, which I'm going to use to make a retrievable redirect.

It's been nothing but work work work for me around here. We've been going steady 7 days a week since March. The heat and humidity has been awful here lately as well, but it just makes the whiskey taste even better in the evenings LOL. I get home from working to stacking boulder walls at our new place. I'm ready for a break.

My only worry would be if the screw in ends would come lose while using it, and you didnt know it. The sharp end could sever your rope and that would be the end of it. Maybe they cant come out, but Idk. I would like to hear how they hold up to the test of time and then maybe i will get one.

Ya know, I was looking at that and I see your concern, so far it is ok, but I am watching, each time I use it, I like it more.

Back