Caution when using an OWB (A.K.A. "Who Needs a Barber?)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhisoma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When adding wood to your OWB and that wood moves into a position you don't like, reposition that wood with some sort of tool, PLEASE don't try to move it with your hand.

This is because your hand is attached to your arm, which is attached to your shoulder, which is attached to your torso, which is attached to your neck, which is attached to your head, which holds your face on. Your face, in turn, has all these itty bitty fine little hairs sticking out of it.

My mistake. I say "has." I meant to say "had."

There is a very fine thermal line between "this is hot but comfortable" and "hey, let's lose the eyebrows and eyelashes, I've always wanted to look like Michael Jackson!"

Of course **I** didn't make this mistake.

Nope nope nope nope nope...

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

One more reason I cut 18" pieces and split them small, besides being able to load the stove and hold on to my beer without splilling it!

I haven't done that, but I have opened the door when the fire was raging and flames come shooting out like the movie 'Backdraft' That's a whole lotta fun too.

That is why i wear a hat. :) Keeps the hair on my head, what little is left, also covers my eyebrows. :)

Just wait it gets better....wait till you open the door and all of Hades comes out at you...backdraft fun! Ii also wear a hat and discovered the synthetic ones melt.

There is this stupid little sticker on my C.B. That says open door 1/2" for one minute or something. Who reads directions??? me NOW. The bright side is in most cases it will grow back maybe not where it was, but it will grow back.

I've had that happen to me too. I split my wood small enough now so that I can kinda toss it in. I have had the big fire ball too. I stand back when I open the door so that the flame doesn't get me.

Hat or no hat you can still lose your eyebrows and lashes.

Yea, ya gotta watch out for the smoke too, I use a garden hoe to move the wood around after tossing it in...

I too wear a hat.....NOW!

O singed my beard a few times, when I first got the boiler. Haha

Knock on wood but I haven't burned anything lately. :)

The Nice thing with the e-classic's control panel having both the water temp and the reaction chamber temp is you can pretty much tell if you are going to get the fireball. (IE stove not running but reaction temp still way up there).

It's been thirty years now but I was lighting the pilot on a 30 gallon natural gas how water heater and ................

PooooooF!

Been there about 30 years ago . Wife waited to hear movement before she hollered downstairs to find out if i was ok.

While we are on the topic of oopies with fire. (ok this was just plain being dumb). Gasoline and a pile of junk wood. I heard the woosh, and went oh crap. Took off running. Had a hat on so kept the hair on my head. My leg on the other hand didn't fair so well.

Burned from the sock line up to where my shorts were around the knee. That was a painful couple weeks. :angry:

I only play with diesel now. Haha

While we are on the topic of oopies with fire. (ok this was just plain being dumb). Gasoline and a pile of junk wood. I heard the woosh, and went oh crap. Took off running. Had a hat on so kept the hair on my head. My leg on the other hand didn't fair so well.

Burned from the sock line up to where my shorts were around the knee. That was a painful couple weeks. :angry:

I only play with diesel now. Haha

Fun to be had on YouTube in this area --- just search words like "brushpile" and "gas"

Stove story:

My family and I were in our log cabin we had built ourselves and were bunked down for the night. My Dad had said to fill the wood stove for the night -- it was cold (central MA, 1976 when we still had winter, for all you GCC deniers:msp_biggrin:), and the cabin wasn't exactly "professionally" built. so i crammed that little stove with wood.

Problem was, our wood pile consisted of small maple. birch, and hornbeam poles we had cut up, no fat chunks. The entire load burned at once with a dull roar -- and the stove and stove pipe turned dull red (almost to the roof, where we had double-walled pipe, with about a one inch gap to the roof poles and tar paper overlain with a round bit of flashing).

My dad had some choice words for what I did. Hey, I was just following directions -- but knew enough not to argue. We spent the next 20 minutes losing the hair on our arms and faces trying to get the wood back out -- we had a shovel, but it wouldn't fit in the door. I really don't remember how we did it -- maybe we put leather gloves on and just grabbed the burning wood and threw it out the door. One room cabin -- everyone else had a ring side seat and advice; plus my Dad yelling at me, them, the fire, the stove, Jesus, God, the whole time.

Long story short, we did not burn the cabin down:msp_biggrin:. Would have been a half mile walk in the snow in our underwear. If we forgot the keys it would have been a round trip and a long wait to find the keys once the coals cooled down enough to sift through to look for them:bang: We lived 2 1/2 hrs away, and at the time there were no neighbors, just the town dump that probably wouldn't have been open for a day or two.

When adding wood to your OWB and that wood moves into a position you don't like, reposition that wood with some sort of tool, PLEASE don't try to move it with your hand.

This is because your hand is attached to your arm, which is attached to your shoulder, which is attached to your torso, which is attached to your neck, which is attached to your head, which holds your face on. Your face, in turn, has all these itty bitty fine little hairs sticking out of it.

My mistake. I say "has." I meant to say "had."

There is a very fine thermal line between "this is hot but comfortable" and "hey, let's lose the eyebrows and eyelashes, I've always wanted to look like Michael Jackson!"

Of course **I** didn't make this mistake.

Nope nope nope nope nope...

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Ive heard it said many times on here......pictures or it didnt happen,......

I don't have all these itty bitty fine little hairs sticking out of my face. But then, I don't have an OWB either. I have been singed a time or two back when I started an outdoor fire with gasoline. I don't do that any more.

Curled up eyelashes and arm hairs more than once. Probably won't be the last time either. When the coals are hot they are hot.:liquor:

Back