CB damper problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerhead 5410

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got home from work. Walking up from the barn to the house I stopped to check the boiler. Temp says 159* so ok I better put some wood on it. On the way to the rack I said to myself "hmmmmmmmmm no smoke coming from the stack". I pondered for a bit, grabbed some wood and thought there must be no wood in it just coals. But I packed it tight this morning, it's not that cold today, ah the wife MUST have the house set to 85*.

Then it hit me. I don't hear the hum of the damper being held open.

So I tapped on it a bit, nothing.

Took the cover off the damper so I could see the thing that opens it and tapped on it, nothing, no humming, no opening.

I attempted to push the rod up manually and it won't push. It doesn't seem siezed, but it won't push up.

The door is loose, the rod is loose but it won't push up.

I seem to remember the rod pushing up manually in the past when I lube it, I think.

BTW, this is the units 10th year of sevice and this is my first issue!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Buy 2.....never hurts to have a spare around. Check with your local electrical wholesaler, I got a solenoid for my 5036 cheeper from them than the dealer.

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner, but yes that night I determined the solonoid to be bad. Some how it jammed up and it blew the fuse in the control panel.
$23 to Grainger for a new one and its back up and running, just in time for the forecasted teen high days and single digit nights!!

Thanks for chiming in guys!!

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner, but yes that night I determined the solonoid to be bad. Some how it jammed up and it blew the fuse in the control panel.
$23 to Grainger for a new one and its back up and running, just in time for the forecasted teen high days and single digit nights!!

Thanks for chiming in guys!!

Would you happen to have a Grainger part number handy...? :)

I agree, a part # would be great if you have it! My 5036 is new this year, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few spare parts laying around.

Grainger part # 4X240

This is a Dormeyer solenoid with a part # 2005-M-1

You may want to check your solenoid and see if it the same. This is what was on mine and my neighbors 5036!! Can't say if yours will be the same.

I used my Illinois farm bureau membership 10% discount to get it for $23 so you know. I think it is $ 26.45.

Last edited:
Grainger part # 4X240

This is a Dormeyer solenoid with a part # 2005-M-1

You may want to check your solenoid and see if it the same. This is what was on mine and my neighbors 5036!! Can't say if yours will be the same.

I used my Illinois farm bureau membership 10% discount to get it for $23 so you know. I think it is $ 26.45.

Thanks... :cheers:

Don't forget to lube the linkage periodically.
Also, check the damper door and the mating surface on the boiler door, sometimes have to scrape off creosote from it, that will make it stick too.

some good info here... wonder if that part number will fit a 6048? i like to get one just incase..

Latest posts

Back