Cedar Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately I do not think that the 084/alaskan combination is good for cutting 1 by's as I lose about half an inch per pass... However, it is good incentive to start looking at a bandsaw mill ..... It is good to hear that the wood is stable. I have seen a door made from these wide slabs that has been carved by a traditional Haida carver, a truly awesome piece, even when it is weathered, it maintains an incredible beauty. How are you milling the cedar that you have?

This may sound kind of odd but I use my 365 with a 28" bar for my mobile setup often on very large logs and my 088 with 36" bar on my track mill mostly for cutting 1x8 and 2x6 for building projects. The 365 is much easier to pack into remote locations although if packing the saw and gear in gets to hard then packing out slabs is out of the question. I think that cutting free cedar logs into siding boards is well worth it. You would likely have a hard time to paying less than $1000 per 1000 board feet for cedar. Although I am not sure I would cut the prime but logs into siding? Move up the tree and then there is lots of siding.

first pic is of track mill
second pic is of mobile mill

This may sound kind of odd but I use my 365 with a 28" bar for my mobile setup often on very large logs and my 088 with 36" bar on my track mill mostly for cutting 1x8 and 2x6 for building projects. The 365 is much easier to pack into remote locations although if packing the saw and gear in gets to hard then packing out slabs is out of the question. I think that cutting free cedar logs into siding boards is well worth it. You would likely have a hard time to paying less than $1000 per 1000 board feet for cedar. Although I am not sure I would cut the prime but logs into siding? Move up the tree and then there is lots of siding.

I really like your setup. I have often thought of putting down some rails and a frame for the big 84 just so I don't have to hog that rig around. However very often I still have to go to the tree as I have many logs that my tractor can't even budge. In that case I just mount my superstrut guide rails and have at er.. I was thinking of slabbing all of the trees out, keeping the quartersawn sections for my decking and the flat sawn sections for siding.
BTW, I love that cedar driftwood on the beach, that is BEEEOOTIFUL. Also the view looks just like ours from the beach here in Point Roberts. I often study the driftwood wondering what it would be like to mill it up, but for the life of me, I cannot tell the type of tree it is by looking at it. How did you know that it was cedar before you cut it? An expoloratory cut?

DRB - that 2d pic of the cedar is wicked....clear cedar like that in 2x and 6 - 8" wide would run you at least $6-10/bft if you could find it to buy it - thats furniture / mill work grade. Wicked score! I'd gladly "help" you out with that. We do the Van. Island run a couple times a year and there abouts.

I built a prototype bench with some of the lesser quality slabs from the cedar log. The back of the bench is the slab with the pith running through it. I wanted to try some simple building techniques, as this suits my simple skills! I would like to build some more outdoor furntiture like this.

attachment.php

I double posted this in "What are you building with your Milled wood". I hope that isn't a nono or at worst a waste of peoples time looking at the same info twice. If so my apologies, I shall avoid this in the future.

Last edited:
:computer: I also have 4 or 5 large cedar logs (3' x 14' or better) I need ripped up.
I was hoping to find a local guy that would do it for half the lumber. You think that's possible? :confused:

Nice bench. :clap: How wide are those slabs?

Nice bench. :clap: How wide are those slabs?

I measured some chairs and benches and then I made the seat slab to 17in with 15in of seating area. The slabs are all a full 2in thick material. The back slab is as high as I could it as this wood was laying on the forest floor for several years, so there was an outer ring of punky wood. The back is about 24in. I didn't actually measure it as that is the most I could get out of the slab. One side affect is that I can not move it by myself. I think I will build some campfire benches without the back, just so that they can be moved about more easily.

Since we see that you made a nice bench, my question is what are your plans for the log behind it?
Nice bench...

Isn' that a lovely chunk of big leaf maple? I am planning a large dining room table from it, but I am waiting for my skills to improve before I tackle that one.

I built a prototype bench with some of the lesser quality slabs from the cedar log. The back of the bench is the slab with the pith running through it. I wanted to try some simple building techniques, as this suits my simple skills! I would like to build some more outdoor furntiture like this.

attachment.php

I double posted this in "What are you building with your Milled wood". I hope that isn't a nono or at worst a waste of peoples time looking at the same info twice. If so my apologies, I shall avoid this in the future.

Nice bench!

cedar park..dangit i must've forgot, i was there this weekend for a friend's wedding on lake travis....How do you like it there??? I personally didn't like the trafiic and drivers there especially the two toll ways i didn't know about and caused me to show up late to the wedding cuz they don't have any feeders....

Back