Cedar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice Steve! I'm jealous, I didn't know you were into milling, I might have to get with later for some questions. That old Ranger is a trooper for sure. Nice setup as always.

Now Dusty... don't fib... you're the super... you WATCHED some guys dig footings in a hot factory... LOL

Nice pics, that must not be the cedar I'm familiar with... eastern red.

Ian

Now Dusty... don't fib... you're the super... you WATCHED some guys dig footings in a hot factory... LOL

Nice pics, that must not be the cedar I'm familiar with... eastern red.

Ian

Yea.... Well.... It was still hot in there. Its a tough job trying to watch with sweat in your eyes.:greenchainsaw:

Which breed of cedar are you milling?
I was milling some Port Orford cedar today, this stuff smells like turpentine.
With snow on the mountain,
attachment.php

Nice straight log
attachment.php

The rest of the logs for today
attachment.php

The mud saw clearing a path for the band
attachment.php

These boards are as white as can be.
attachment.php

Backwoods,

This is Northern White Cedar. Used for siding and shingles, decking round these parts. It has a really nice smell of....err....cedar! Anyways this is a 10" cant I cut out of the butt log and sliced off 2x"s. These will be used for a stair treads for a couple of outdoor sets I need to redo. :cheers:
attachment.php

attachment.php

We have several cedars breeds out here, Portorford and Incense are both white cedars, the predominate breed is Western Red Cedar. When milling reclaimed wood we come across some Alaska yellow, and in the coastal bogs, we find Western Cyprus .
Those planks will make good out door stair treads for sure, wide and thick is always good. The differences in the all the cedars sure is interesting. Not only the color variations, but the smells as well.

The mud saw is a poorly designed factory add on. It works but has a tendency to bind up as it is pushed ahead of the saw. The baker mills have one that is pulled rather then pushed down the log and dose a much better job of staying in contact with the log and not binding up. I replaced the slow electric motor that moves it in and out with a hydraulic cylinder and that helps get it out of the way faster which prevents some of the binding and when it dose bind up The hydraulics are strong enough to pull it out of the bind where the electric was not. They call it a debarker but I only use it on dirty logs.

Last edited:
Back