Central boiler CL 5036 still kicking.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marley5

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A few stats I'd like to share.
Boiler was bought new in 2012 and will be on its 11th winter.
Burn 8 cords per year, 90% oak.
Main pump runs year around and have not replaced a pump.
Have never replaced a door gasket.
Only have ever built 1 fire per year.

Damper opens at 175* closes at 165*
Heating 4600 sq feet in the mountains of western VA.

Still cutting all my firewood at 62 and hand split everything " except white oak" 😂

I'm hoping for another 10 years out of the stove and then I'm done cutting wood.

I have a 5036. I am wondering why you're running your pump year round.
It's all hydronic, hot water under the house and garage floors, don't want any settling in all that tubing.
Maybe I'm over thinking though.

It's all hydronic, hot water under the house and garage floors, don't want any settling in all that tubing.
Maybe I'm over thinking though.
That is fine but it is a closed loop system so there not be any settling whether it is circulating or not

Is that model closed loop (pressurized)?

I put my wood fired boiler in service in 2007, still going strong, knock on wood. A neighbor bought same model at same time and he follows the same maintenance schedule. He had to have the water jacket repaired after some leaks showed up about year 12. Still technically under prorated warranty. Manufacture ended up covering the plate steel for the repair with leftovers towards labor.

Is that model closed loop (pressurized)?

I put my wood fired boiler in service in 2007, still going strong, knock on wood. A neighbor bought same model at same time and he follows the same maintenance schedule. He had to have the water jacket repaired after some leaks showed up about year 12. Still technically under prorated warranty. Manufacture ended up covering the plate steel for the repair with leftovers towards labor.
Fluctuating water temps cause condensation which is why you hear about boilers rusting from the outside in.
They should not be operated like a conventional wood stove where the owner let's them run out of fuel " Wood " and the water cools and then a rebuild.
Yes, I've heard of many premature failures when not operated properly.

I am late to the conversation but my Central Boiler 5648 is still leak free after 22 years. I haven't had any backup heat during that time until getting a propane furnace installed this fall. I figured I was pushing my luck.

I am late to the conversation but my Central Boiler 5648 is still leak free after 22 years. I haven't had any backup heat during that time until getting a propane furnace installed this fall. I figured I was pushing my luck.
22 years is incredible.
You should share a few stats like how often did you change the water and did you burn year around ?
You still using the original rust prohibitive?

22 years is incredible.
You should share a few stats like how often did you change the water and did you burn year around ?
You still using the original rust prohibitive?
I've never changed the water, just added as needed. I tested it every couple years and added corrosion inhibitor if necessary, which has not been often. I don't do anything special for maintenance, just clean out the ashes and cover the chimney for the summer. I burn about 7 months out of the year. This model does not have an adjustable controller so it is set to 185. Hopefully I haven't jinxed myself now!

Back