Central boiler's ashtrol

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrothead600

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I did a search on this subject and the general concences seems to be that ashtrol is nothing more than Lime. The last time I checked, a gallon-sized container of Ashtrol was $25. I can go to the feed store and get 1/2 ton of agricultural lime for that price. Is there more to this stuff than lime or is CB just making tons of $$ on this?
Also, in my search, some people said that they would compare the MSDS on this to see if it is just lime. But I have not seen any follow-up info. Has anyone actually done any type of analysis?

An ex dealer told me it was lime. From then on all I have used is field lime. I bought a bag 7-8 years ago for like $3.50 I'll be using it for the next 20 years.

The bigger question is do you notice a difference when using it? I got some that was included with the Boiler when I got it. I tried various times using it with different kinds of wood and at different outdoor conditions. I didn't see any real difference that made me feel it was worth getting a again. I'd be interested to see what others have found/experienced.

I just looked at an Wood Doctor gasification boiler that was 3 years old with the primary fire box rotted through the wood side not the water.Metal so thin it's basically garbage and of course the 30 year warranty does nothing:msp_rolleyes:.Never used any ashtrol type product. Yeah , I 'll keep supporting my local dealer for ashtrol:smile2:

The bigger question is do you notice a difference when using it? I got some that was included with the Boiler when I got it. I tried various times using it with different kinds of wood and at different outdoor conditions. I didn't see any real difference that made me feel it was worth getting a again. I'd be interested to see what others have found/experienced.

I'm in the same boat. I have not noticed a difference if I use it or not. But, I have not tested the PH level of the ashes with or without using ashtrol.

I'm in the same boat. I have not noticed a difference if I use it or not. But, I have not tested the PH level of the ashes with or without using ashtrol.

I clean mine out every year to the point of getting all the hard black stuff out by scraping. Yes, I crawl inside it it for a dirty job! I do have the stainless version but the floor and walls are VERY smooth and even with no pits. & years on the boiler with no problems so I guess I'm lucky?

I just looked at an Wood Doctor gasification boiler that was 3 years old with the primary fire box rotted through the wood side not the water.Metal so thin it's basically garbage and of course the 30 year warranty does nothing:msp_rolleyes:.Never used any ashtrol type product. Yeah , I 'll keep supporting my local dealer for ashtrol:smile2:

Probably more to do with low return temperature causing condensation in the firebox.

gg

This will be my 4th heating season with my CL-6048 from Central Boiler. MY dealer never mentioned or gave me any Ash-Trol. So I guess he doesn't use it or carry it. Anyone else in this situation??

Latest posts

Back