Central WI Chainsaw Contest this Sunday, 7/26

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bouden

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just thought I'd drop a note to invite anyone interested to attend Sunday's contest held at the Union Thresheree, Symco, Wisconsin. Symco is just north of Manawa on State Hwy 22, on the banks of the Little Wolf River. Sign-up starts at 2 p.m. with cutting starting at 3. There are four antique classes (gear, direct, two-man, and 1970-80), several stock classes (gas and muffler) from 2.5 to 6.0 and above cu. in., modified (gas, pipe saws), unlimited (any fuel, any engine), same saw, and three crosscut classes. We usually cut pine, but it's at the discretion of what cants are coming from the sawmill. Registration is $5 per saw. This is a pretty low-buck group and a sharp chain and good technique usually get the job done. Prizes are awarded in each class.
I'm sorry I won't be back here to answer questions, as I am hauling tractors to the show beginning today and will be staying at the grounds. You may have to search for Symco Thresheree if desired.
I realize this is Hayward weekend, but if you want to cut instead of watch, you might find this a really good time. The rest of the show (all weekend) is worth the trip.

Just got home from a fun day at the Union thresheree in Symco WI. There are a nice bunch of guys there, and a gal named Chantile that can run a saw with any of the guys. We'll be back next year with a few more saws.
Scott

I was booked all day today, or woulda made a road trip out of it. Sounds like something to plan for next weekend.

I'll just have to settle for a trip to the Pine county MN fair next weekend - see the WI/MN etc thread for more info, and probably a trip to the Almelund threshing show in 2 weeks. Usually a few old saws there, maybe next year I'll bring some of my relics up there.

Almelund threshing show link: Almelund Threshing show

WI/MN/...GTG thread link: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/231778.htm

Bill, I didn't take any pics of the saws, it all went pretty fast, and we couldn't hear the pa very well when they called names to run. It's held on a tractor pull track and it's all shaded. There are bleachers set up and there must have been 150 spectators watching, plus all the competitors. Probably 1/2 the saws there were modern saws which have their own classes for stock and altered. There were some very good running saws there, an 1130 and a couple 1150's, then most of the modern saws looked pretty strong too.
Scott

I've been going to the Symco Thresheree for over 20 years, but this is the first year I went on Sunday for the chainsaw race. I agree they could do a better job with the PA. I think the participants were the only ones who knew what was going on as far as the classes and how the system worked. It's always been advertised as an antique chainsaw race, but there was plenty of modern saws there too. If you have some healthy saws and know how to sharpen chain, you'll fit right in. I hung out with the saw operators instead of sitting in the bleachers and they sure are a nice bunch of people. A friend at work recently gave me an old Homelite 923 and that's just the excuse I need to get it running. Maybe next year.

Back