Chain damage... what the hell has he done to cause this???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I grabbed my dads little battery saw to trim the end of a slab yesterday & something just didn’t look right with the chain...
20240329_132702.jpg20240329_132517.jpg20240329_132419.jpg
Pretty much every other cutter on the right side is twisted to some degree. I suspect he may have been cutting & levering sideways but really not sure. I guess I need to pay more attention to how he's using it & try to get him to take some advice :s
Plan is to put the chain on the grinder so all the angles are kinda right & see if it cuts ok. I'm reluctant to put a new chain on it until I've worked out what he's been doing to mangle this one like he has

Buy him a recip saw, he's been using his chainsaw like one.
My brother is the same way, he cuts up junk that's full of nails or dirty wood with rocks in it, he goes through a lot of bars and chains for the little bit of cutting he does.
I wouldnt sharpen that chain, it's junk, the bent cutters are due to fly off of it.

Strange effect for hitting metal, then I remember I'm used to the effect on teeth on high revving gas powered saws when milling which has just been uniform dulling because I've hit the metal so gradually at the milling pace of cutting. My tiny 10" battery powered saw I bought years ago kicks back something awful on small branches due to low revs and skip teeth. Even with full comp, I think the teeth get mangled a whole different way hitting metal with low rpm battery saws. Teeth grab a lot more. They just seem a lot more dangerous to use than high revving saws.

So I grabbed my dads little battery saw to trim the end of a slab yesterday & something just didn’t look right with the chain...
View attachment 1165653View attachment 1165654View attachment 1165655
Pretty much every other cutter on the right side is twisted to some degree. I suspect he may have been cutting & levering sideways but really not sure. I guess I need to pay more attention to how he's using it & try to get him to take some advice :s
Plan is to put the chain on the grinder so all the angles are kinda right & see if it cuts ok. I'm reluctant to put a new chain on it until I've worked out what he's been doing to mangle this one like he has

0.43?

I've so far only had them twist that bad on 0.43/mini chassis. How multiple teeth ended up that way is another story.

Hard to say. I had an entire fence line with barbed wire that seemed almost underground.

I have seen railroad spikes in trees, as well as frying pans.
I would love to know the story of how a frying pan got into a tree. Very strange!

I would love to know the story of how a frying pan got into a tree. Very strange!

I would imagine some kid stuck it in a fork 100 years ago or whenever.

A few decades back a man some kin to me was working around a saw mill and had a railroad spike or similar hit him in the head. Had brain damage. In those days there was no protection on anything.

In general if you are working with big yard tree around an old home place you will be lucky if it's just kids driving nails in it for play.

So to answer a few posts in one...
It is .043" chain.
It is overdue a sharpen but I've seen plenty worse.
He can't tell me what he did to cause the damage.
Some of the wood he's been cutting is dirty, but it's unlikely there's any metal in it.
If you look closely, the cutters are twisted the opposite way you'd expect them to be if they hit metal on the right side... & there's no damage to any of the cutters on the left.
I suspect he's been cutting near the tip, starting a cut on an angle & then twisting the saw to straighten the cut

Maybe he's trying to get the chain moving when it's stuck in a log and the result is from high start up torque?

I've heard that even some chaps won't stop an electric saw. True or not I don't know.

Latest posts

Back