Chain Differences - 3/8 - .325

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattgatten

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something. New'ish saw owner here and I know my saw uses the .325 chains (because that is what it came with). I have 2 full chisels and 1 semi chisel chain. I've searched here on the forum and I'm having a hard time finding an explanation. Thus, my post. What is this measurement, what are the pro's and cons, and if I wanted to switch, would I need a new bar?

Thanks in advance,

If your saw can pull the 3/8 chain, its a better option. Each cutter takes a bigger bite compared to the .325. So if you've got the power, there is no need to run .325 pitch. So, if your saw is smaller (50cc or less), I would run .325.

Since I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one I feel that the larger 3/8 cutters are easier to sharpen compared to the smaller .325 cutters. The 3/8 cutters are also a bit more forgiving than the .325 ones.

What about a "mini" or lo-pro 3/8 vs. .325? I know the .325 takes smaller bites than the 3/8, but is the lo-pro 3/8 even smaller?

I prefer the 3/8 pitch personally as it is easier (for me) to file. It also has fewer cutters for the same length of chain since the links are longer so there is less to file. It cuts very fast if you have enough power to pull it but in my opinion it vibrates more than .325, this is in my limited experience and I'm comparing Oregon 20LP .325 chain to Oregon 72LPX 3/8 chain of which I have saws using both. The kerf of the cut is wider with 3/8 so you loose more wood from the cut and the kerf is also not as smooth as the .325 but those trade offs are worth it to me for the advantages of the 3/8 . Also, and I might be imagining this but 3/8 seems to stretch less during use than .325 which could be a compounding effect of the .325 having 10% more links to heat up and expand... But that is just a theroy.

What about a "mini" or lo-pro 3/8 vs. .325? I know the .325 takes smaller bites than the 3/8, but is the lo-pro 3/8 even smaller?

It's the same:

If your saw has the power to pull the larger .325 you probably don't want to run 3/8 lo-pro.

If your saw has the power to pull the larger 3/8 you probably don't want to run .325.

But then it stops, .404 does not seem to be that popular anymore, and 3/8 is fine for even the largest saws.

Since I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one I feel that the larger 3/8 cutters are easier to sharpen compared to the smaller .325 cutters. The 3/8 cutters are also a bit more forgiving than the .325 ones.

I have to agree - "full size" 3/8" chain are more forgiving to file, but I still believe the really good .325 chains (like Oregon LP and Stihl RS/RSC) have the advantage on most 50cc saws, regarding cutting speed....:taped:

Does a NE346xp have enough to pull a 3/8" 16 inch bar in softwood? If so, I'm getting a 3/8 sprocket combo

Sure, but read my above post - either .325x7 or x8 probably will beat the 3/8x7 in the cut with the best .325 chains (haven't tested yet, even though all options are around) - but does it really matter?

This is more of a conversation piece, than a real issue.......sigh....

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something. New'ish saw owner here and I know my saw uses the .325 chains (because that is what it came with). I have 2 full chisels and 1 semi chisel chain. I've searched here on the forum and I'm having a hard time finding an explanation. Thus, my post. What is this measurement, what are the pro's and cons, and if I wanted to switch, would I need a new bar?

Thanks in advance,

Everything I have is 3/8 but I'm pretty sure your saw manufacturer put .325 on for a reason. Just stick with that vs switching bars and sprockets. Just about every saw shop carries .325. You won't have any problems with it. I do think that filing is a little easier on 3/8 like the other guys said.

Well since mine came with the .325 and I don't cut for money or every weekend for that matter, I'm going to be content with my current chain pitch. I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an 18 inch bar and some chains, however. Just to try a bigger bar on the little screamer. I'm going to be modding the muffler this weekend. Woohoo!

Sure, but read my above post - either .325x7 or x8 probably will beat the 3/8x7 in the cut with the best .325 chains (haven't tested yet, even though all options are around) - but does it really matter?

This is more of a conversation piece, than a real issue.......sigh....

I have run 3/8 and .325 on my 2153 (same as NE346) and I don't notice much of a difference (although I never timed it). I am going to use the 3/8 just because almost every other saw I own uses it.

Latest posts

Back