Chain Filing Outside In.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've honestly never heard of such a thing. Now, I guess I'll have to try it myself. However, it's gonna be just like humpin' a fat chick......I sure aint gonna let anyone see me doing it!!

When filing "point in", I like to use the Granberg File-N-Joint... It keeps the angles perfect. Just leave yerself plenty of time... :msp_biggrin:

When I was messing around with a goofy file on a square chain, I decided to try same method on some round filed chisel with a round file...Took a lighter touch, but the results were very good... Possibly the fastest cutting chain I've ever filed... And stayed sharp for a reasonable time too...

I just did this before doing some cutting; I'll have to use it for a while before making any decision but it sure was sharp

And for sure it does feel weird sharpening that way

If, and I'm not saying there is or isn't, anything to this outside in sharpening then one side of a grinder sharpened chain should be some sharper than the other, as one side is ground outside to in...right???

If, and I'm not saying there is or isn't, anything to this outside in sharpening then one side of a grinder sharpened chain should be some sharper than the other, as one side is ground outside to in...right???

Yes... But the best grinders are reversible...:msp_wink:

I must admit I'm self taught on sharpening a chain with a file. I grew up on a farm and my Dad had me doing a lot of things that looking back were VERY dangerous. I don't know if he was that confident in me or just oblivious to what could happen. I'd bet on the later. He did draw the line with chainsaw use,it was a subject not even talked about, safety or otherwise.
Once I was out on my own and the need arose I purchased a husky 51. Since I purchased it where my Dad did buisness not a word was mentioned about use,maintenance, sharpening,or anything else as I'm sure they assumed I had hands on knowledge. I recieved one round file with this saw along with some premix.
Now I'd been with my Dad and 2 Uncles countless times where chainsaw use was involved and of course I was usually good at observing and learning. The day came that I needed to sharpen my chain and away I went, it was then that I realized I'd never paid attention to which way they filed so I concluded to use the same logic as when sharpening a knife blade.Filing toward the point accomplished this. My Dad saw my method some time later when I was helping him and tried to correct me, I told him to try that chain and see what he thought. Lets just say I taught an old dog a new trick
Using the same logic for knife sharpening I can't really believe anybody would NOT sharpen their chain in the same manor. And the results I've had back up this view.

The best saw shop in the world is now closed but this was the owners tech.,he would supply the better timber fallers chain at cost and you had to chisel grind. We would run stp w/ the bar oil (it was claimed to help the chain wear less)he had a Zieglemeyer depth gauge grinder and insisted on setting our rakers. when the chain was 1/2 used up he would grind them down the length he wanted with a round grinder and then filing inward would use a single cut round file(5/33 i believe)and if not mistaken they were pferds. I have tried his technique in the brush(less wasting the chain)and its to time consuming as i don't compete as of yet.Its on my bucket list .... Thanks for all the great info from some of you . :chainsaw:

Filing from outside in makes for a sharp edge, but it also damages the chrome layer, causeing it to flake off faster....your chain will become dull quicker filing like this.

What does this even mean? Whatever, I feel dumber even reading it.
Either hand filing or grinding the idea is to remove material to make the cutter sharper.
You do what you gotta do, I will take my out to in, by hand, guide, filed chain and not much will be sharper, or last longer in a thirty mile radius.

out to in works

i prefer to take a round file and go in to out until i have my angles right. then i take a flat file and remove the bur from the outside edge of the cutting edge. after thats finished i run my round file out to in on the same 30 degree i made doing the initial in to out, since i run husqvarnas i do a 5-10 degree down too. never cut faster. never had a problem with it dulling any quicker. def my preferred method, sounded crazy to me at first but ill never sharpen just in to out ever again.

A while back, I filed up a Stihl chain out-to-in and posted about it. I promised I would get back to you after I did the same to an Oregon chain. Since I only chisel file my personal chains, I didn't have the opportunity (or chore) of round filing until a couple of days ago. A good friend is finishing off a worn-out .050 ga. chain in a wallowed-out .058 ga. bar (My .063 shim fits nicely.) and I doctored the chain up for him. Out-to-in. No visible or 'feelable' burrs and very sharp.

Cuts straight, too . . . until my dear friend files it again.

I think it's interesting that for square filing its outside-in, and for round filing, it's inside out, but grinding is outside in. Trying to square file from the inside is useless and the file chatters and won't bite. Trying outside in with a round file makes the file bounce and grab and will noticeably dull the file in short order. Its just easier to do things the certain way that convention teaches in the respective filing techniques.
I wonder if it has to do with pressure direction or what but I've always found it interesting.

Maybe the fact that people don't deburr the side plate when inside-outing is why the have better results with outside-inning. Outside-in leaves no burr. Inside-out leaves a burr that just rounds over if not addressed and likely affects cutting performance. Whatchall think?

What's everyone's method for deburring the side plate when round filing anyhow? I've always taken a flat file and just brushed it down the side plate into the cutting edge, if done lightly it produces a razor edge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back