chain for the 46

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, actually I have come to HATE carlton/woodsman Pro as it dulls very quickly in hardwoods:angry:

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
No, actually I have come to HATE carlton/woodsman Pro as it dulls very quickly in hardwoods:angry:

Just curious Ryan, what chain do you run now?

Russ

Carlton chain is good stuff IMO and it'certainly no softer than Oregon chain(or the other brands oregon produces cutters for)I wish Windsor made 3/8 chain that had the same tooth material as their .325 chain as I believe its one of the best values on the market right now. Windsor 3/8 currently uses the Oregon LG cutter which is butter soft. One thing about soft chain though is its easy to get razor sharp.

Last edited:
Myself I run nothing but Stihl bars and chain I have had to replace the bar on my 046 and I replaced it with the same. The local saw shop doesn't even buy oregon chain much they are even putting Stihl chain on Husky saws :laugh:

My chain is full skip when your bucking and falling fir and cedar full skip works good I can't imagine running full house chain it would take you for hours sharpening the sob.

I know how it hurts ruining a new chain hitting a rock or nail its a real pizz off.

I run Stihl 33rs on Stihl bars with Stihl bar oil and 2 cycle mix with premium gas. I've run oregon and still have a couple of loops left but I can buy stihl chain for less localy. I don't think any PRO on here will question the quality of Stihl's chain.

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
I don't think any PRO on here will question the quality of Stihl's chain.

Stihl does have a good chain but I refuse to pay twice as much for it. I seriously ask myself what difference you dyed in the wool Stihl guys are seeing? I can typically go a couple of tanks of gas in clean wood running Oregon chain and I can go about 2 1/2 running Stihl chain, so where does that leave me? Shutting down to touch up the teeth or filing every second tank like the Oregon. Hmmmm.......

I will buy Stihl chain if I can get it for a buck, maybe two more per loop because it should last longer, but to be honest, I think that Sabre chain may be the best I`ve used and it`s cheap if you can find it. Too bad it`s defunct.

Russ

Here localy I pay $12 for a 20'' loop of oregon or stihl if I buy 5 or more loops at a time. If I buy them one or two at a time then the oregon is about a dollar more. So in that case who wouldn't run stihl chain?

Hey Ryan,

I can buy 20" loops of Oregon for $9.95, sometimes less, but Stihl normally costs $15.99 - $18.99. I can easily see your point, see mine?

Russ

Yup, its funny how the dealers price things but I don't fault anyone for making a living, price gouging on the other hand.....

A loop of 20" stihl chain is $20.99. In Carlton, 20" chain is $20 local.

Ryan, Who sells stihl chains for $12 ea?

One dealer here gets $27 for a 67 driver loop of 26RS. Normal pricing is $24-$28 for a single 20" loop of 33RS from the other dealers. I can buy it much cheaper. I can assure you $12 loops of 72DL 33RS are around.

Bill

I think you guys are full of it.
How can you tell if it's the chain, operator, wood density, impurities in the wood, or a million other factors that make your chain dull?
I run several different saws with a mix of different chain size, cutter type, brand and complement, and there's no way casual observation could determine which brand lasts longer.
And what if one chain is slightly softer than the next, doesn't that make it easier to file? And doesn't thicker chrome, which would make it last longer, also make it cut slower?
Perhaps a sawyer, cutting cants, without any bark, with perfectly clear wood, could do some kind of comparison, but you wood ticks making these unsupported statements have no credibility with me.

I beg to differ mike, when you go through 10-15 tanks of fuel in a 046 or an 044 in a day EVERY day then you tend to notice things. I can tell the differance.

I have to agree with Ryan. A cutter working in clean conditions falling 50-120 trees of the same species in the same stand day after day gets a feel for which brands of chain perform consistently better or worse. I work mainly in second growth doug fir and the wood density for the most part remains fairly even throughout a stand measuring 30-100 acres at a whack.

All Oregon chain has proven itself to be softer than Stihl chain. Oregon chain is easier to file but Stihl chain holds an edge longer. Talk to any "pro" saw shop like Madsen's, Walker's, or Bailey's and they'll say the same thing.

Latest posts

Back