Chain Grinder...cheap...anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want a decent grinder get a Northern Tool copy of the Oregon 511. It runs about $100 and with a good wheel is almost identical to the much more expensive one. There is a whole thread on here about how to make it better.

spend the money and get yourself a decent one, i had a cheapy one from flea bay and it lasted a week. i'm looking at a oregon one rite now but they are rather spendy.

thanks all

i'm just not a grind guy to begin with...much prefer filing but i figured at $30 it might be a nice tool bench addition.

i'm convinced not to get this one.

as far as harbor freight goes...i know they have plenty of junk but the only item i've ordered from them in the past is their build it yourself foldable motorcycle trailer and i think it's an excellent deal at under $300

but, again, thanks for the buyer beware!

I'm going to go against the grain here.

First off I'm not a professional cutter, just a guy who burns 3 or 4 cords a year. That being said I've got a file and plate that I had been using and I saw the Harbor Freight grinder on sale for like $29. I figured what the heck and bought it. I took a chain that was making dust, stuck it in the el cheepo grinder and now I'm making some nice chips. For $29 I'm happy....

I got mine for $29. I've since upgraded to the 511, but I still use the Harbor Freight grinder on the low profile chain. At least it gave me some idea about how a grinder worked before I spent the $100 for the 511.

I'm going to go against the grain here.

First off I'm not a professional cutter, just a guy who burns 3 or 4 cords a year. That being said I've got a file and plate that I had been using and I saw the Harbor Freight grinder on sale for like $29. I figured what the heck and bought it. I took a chain that was making dust, stuck it in the el cheepo grinder and now I'm making some nice chips. For $29 I'm happy....

I'll throw in on this one. It is indeed a cheaply built unit and we'll see how well mine lasts. A friend of mine heard I was looking for a grinder, found this one, bought it, put it in my hands and said "you owe me 30 bucks." I reluctantly set it up and it has worked fine for the last two seasons. I'm a 4-5 chords/year guy also. The big weakness (I've heard) is that the bushings don't hold up so after a while it won't hold the angle well. It has given me some time to look for another unit, I guess. Seems about $100 bucks is the minimum to spend on a decent one.

Maybe look at it this way... at 4 or 5 bucks per chain sharpening at the dealer, I came out way ahead, and I didn't take gobs of material off like the dealer seems bent on doing. If you take decent care of your chains, it doesn't take much to get them razor sharp again.

Mod. it.

I have one.

It is jusk as is, but easy modifications can make it work.

(1) Put Oregon Wheel.
(2) Modify the chain vise to be on the center of rotation.
(3) Calibrate top plate angle dial.
(4) Modify the cutter stopper to make it stable.

Noko

My Case

In my case:

(1) I got it cheap from a garage sale.
(2) I had fun to make it usable.

If I did not have my modded HF and if I decided to buy a grinder, I would seriously look into Northen Tool and add modifications you can find in AS.

Thank you.
Noko

Yeah, I have a coupon for one for $27.99 and was thinking about getting one. I like my chains SHARP and I've been touching them up nicely with my Dremel.
Will this POS sharpen a .375 as purchased?

My curiosity got the best of me and for $27.99 and nothing better to do on a rainy day, I picked one up. Probably took a half-hour for me to assemble it and get it bolted down on my bench. I sharpened five chains with it so far and have no complaints. I would highly recommend this product for a homeowner; maybe not a professional. With five sharp chains, it's already paid for itself. I did add a washer or two to the chain stop mechanism. It seemed like it was off track and might need a little tweaking. My only complaint is that it does not address the rakers. I can hand file those if necessary. Do you guys really do anything about the rakers?

I have one. Your chain will cut when you get done with it, bit it is far from sharp. It works, thats about all i can say for it. It was a gift, so i used it a little. Youid be better off to buy a new chain and a box of files for the money you'd spend on the grinder, and practice. You'll come out with a skill and a REAL sharp chain.

If I had to do it over again, I'd follow Brad's advice and save up for the Northern grinder.

But, I didn't know any better at the time, and I've been using the grinder for 2 - 3 years now, and have learned to get very good results with it.

I did have replace the plastic chain clamp with a metal piece. I do have to use a lot of "finesse" to produce equal cutter lengths, because the plastic grinder is nowhere near rigid. And the OFF switch has never worked.

The original 1/8" wheel worked fine and I still use it for 0.325" chain. A Bailey's 3/16" wheel is used for 3/8" chain, and yes, you do need a 3/16" wheel.

I'm saving up for one of the pro grinders, mainly because I want to experiment with angles that the HF can't do.

For rakers I use an FOP or a standard raker gage, depending on the application.

Latest posts

Back