Chain Grinder...cheap...anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you guys really do anything about the rakers?

Yes.

I handfile all my chains and every 3 filings I do I usually take a stroke off of the rakers. If I really distroy a chain I will throw it on the grinder, then I will put a guage on the rakers and take them down.

The HR grinder will not handle RS chain

The one I tried (and returned to HF) had no adjustment to handle the 10 degree angle needed for chisel chain. I returned it and got the 511a knockoff from Northern. No regrets. Even it has its problems, but it's way better than the HF model.

But I like the idea of trying one just to handle the depth gauges. I may go back and take a look at that.

blsnelling Why waste your $50 when you can get the much better Northern copy of the Oregon 511 for $90?

Where ?? $90 ??
Northern has them on thier page for $119.99 + shipping.
if i could find one $30 less i would buy one..
tnx..

Where ?? $90 ??
tnx..

look at the date of brads posting--seems northern has figured out its not a bad deal--hence the price raise----this forum alone sold a bunch over a 2 month period!!!!!! still worth the price--using mine for over a year--with the mods available at that time, beats a file hands down----and 10 times faster---

just ordered the speed sharp star....hope it works as good as they say.

It does! Take your time, and read the directions several times before getting started. I took a sharpie and marked the 10 degree tilt base for "L" and "R" as it was not marked for which cutters, and I was getting confused on which way to tilt it.

Oh man, you guys are bursting my bubble! This piece of junk worked fine for me although maybe I'll spring for the 3/16" wheel. When I touched down on a petrified oak for "the moment of truth," my chain grabbed that thing like it was brand new. I may use my file for touch-ups but then maybe after every third touch-up or so, go back to the grinder.

I bought one back when they were called "Nick, the Grinder". It's okay for stuff like rocked chains or when your neighbor brings you one of the chains he sharpened with an over sized file, but you still need to touch up with a file.

Yes.

I handfile all my chains and every 3 filings I do I usually take a stroke off of the rakers. If I really distroy a chain I will throw it on the grinder, then I will put a guage on the rakers and take them down.

You know I also check the rakers but more times than not, they are fine. I'm using the standard Oregon raker gauge and wonder if there is a better one? Beats me why they are always fine!

Bob

gemniii Quote:
Originally Posted by roncoinc
Where ?? $90 ??
tnx..

NT puts them on sale frequently, I got mine for $90 in Sept 09.

Works ok just download the manuals for the 511 from Baileys, the notes from the links here:
http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost...5&postcount=12

And you should be good to go.

I'm going to call them tomorrow ,,i'll just outright ask them ,make a deal or i wait for sale..
thanks for the link.

I've used a Mini Jolly before, so I know a bit about low end grinders. The Mini Jolly was vastly better than the H.F. grinder.

I bought the H.F. at a H.F. "parking lot sale" with a 10% off coupon. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was under $30. The motor is OK, maybe better than the Mini Jolly. The vice is off center, however, and I'm not sure can be centered.

But the worst is the chain stop mechanism, which is so floppy you might as well try to hold the chain by hand against the grinding wheel. I tried adding washers to the stopper pivot, but it didn't help much; too much of the support is weak plastic.

So I just ordered a 511 copy from Northern Tool, which they had for $79.99 earlier this week.

I'm the ultimate cheap-skate, but my advice is don't waste your money on a H.F. grinder.

Latest posts

Back