Chain grinder light bulb mod,pic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
I like light,,lots of it.
the 15 watt lightbulb will soon be changed out to a brighter one..
I also wanted more direct light on the chain BEFORE i turned the motor on..so i hooked up a switch to turn the bulb on without having to turn the motor on..just dont do it while the wheel is turning !!!
the switch is mounted in the cover that has three bolts holding it on,take it off..
you will see three wires coming down from bulb,,two black,one goes to the original switch,the other to the flux capacitor..
cut the one that does NOT go to the flux capacitor,you want the one that goes to the original switch.cut it long enough to reach the main incoming power black wire and "tap" into that.i stripped insulation off the main wire and soldered the black wire from the bulb onto it.leave the end of the black wire you cut that went to original switch hanging there.
the third wire from the bulb is a diff color,mine was brown..cut that leaving enough length to reach new switch when mounted..connect to switch..from other side of new bulb on/off switch run a piece of new wire and "tap" into the main incoming power white wire..drill hole,mount new bulb switch..done..
NOTES: dont do this with grinder plugged in.
mount new switch so that it does not interfere with flux capacitor..
new wire should be of same size as others.
insulating bare wires spots is best thing to do.i used some small wire ties to tighten things up.
the 15 watt bulb draws less than one amp so use a switch rated for more.

total time,,two beers..

attachment.php

Last edited:
Flux capacitor? Where you going back in time in a delorean to modify that grinder
going back to the future !!

oh well,,thot more people would be interested in being able to control the light..

Ron stop by sometime, I got a homelite for you to port. Little heavy and tons of plastic but it might turn out alright.

barneyrb Before you go fooling around with a capacitor, you better give it time to discharge otherwise it'll light you up big time.
Today 09:59 PM

Aw,,thats just a little AC starter cap,no problem,bleed off before you can get to it..the mod dont touch it and the ends are insulated for those concerned..
oh,,i have been "BIT" before by big DC caps !! working on RF power supplies :) WOW !! once threw me right out of a chair onto the floor,thot my heart stopped..

Josh,when i try to get ahold of you i have a hard time..when we gona insulate and wire the saw shop ?? cutting wood tomorrow but maybe weekend get the grinder out and do some homey porting ? :)

Still trying to get my buddy to come over and bring the wire for it. I'll be at work sat but sun is fine. Really should have you do my 026 if you feel up to it.

Back