Chain Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good chain grinder? I just started a little research but any info from you guys would be appreciated.

Nothern tools

I use the NT grinder that is the knock off oregon 211a. Once you get the hang of grinding you can make some pretty sharp chains that cut really well. :cheers:

If you don't have the chips for a Silvey. I would go with a Oregon 511A. Now day's they make a 511AX.I bought mine on ebay for 175 bucks new. It was a place going out and it was a over stock.But that was 6 years ago.But I wish I had a Silvey. I say some day I guess.

I use the NT grinder that is the knock off oregon 211a. Once you get the hang of grinding you can make some pretty sharp chains that cut really well. :cheers:

I've got the NT also. Runs from $89 to $129 during sales.
subhunter meant to say Oregon 511a. $$$$

Bailey's also sells the same Chinese Grinder under different brand I'm thinking.

I only grind chains when they need trueing up, so didn't want to spend a lot of money. But I was surprised at the quality on the Northern Tool Grinder.:clap:

The Oregon or other 511A/AX clones such as the Speedsharp etc are excellent.
Unless you want the absolute best in everything, even if it isn't noticable over a cheaper grinder, by all means drop the extra coin on a Silvey etc.

For round I like the looks of that Speed Sharp Star that Baileys has.
They have a demo that you can watch too.

The Speed Sharp grinder is currently on sale at Bailey's for $319.

Bailey's - Speed Sharp Star Chain Grinder

This is a good deal as it is made by Tecomec - the same company that makes the 511AX for Oregon. Self centering vise for even L/R cutters. Grinds 1/4 to 3/4 inch chains. Repair parts will be available for a long time and it will retain its resale value.

Difference between this one and the 511AX is the color and the lack of a grinding wheel wear adjustment feature that I don't think is necessary. This is the one that I would buy if I did not already have a 511A (slightly older version).

Difference between this on and the knock off grinders is the quality and alloy of the castings, quality of motor and windings, quality of grinding wheels, availability of repair parts.

Philbert

The Speed Sharp grinder is currently on sale at Bailey's for $319.

Bailey's - Speed Sharp Star Chain Grinder

This is a good deal as it is made by Tecomec - the same company that makes the 511AX for Oregon. Self centering vise for even L/R cutters. Grinds 1/4 to 3/4 inch chains. Repair parts will be available for a long time and it will retain its resale value.

Difference between this one and the 511AX is the color and the lack of a grinding wheel wear adjustment feature that I don't think is necessary. This is the one that I would buy if I did not already have a 511A (slightly older version).

Difference between this on and the knock off grinders is the quality and alloy of the castings, quality of motor and windings, quality of grinding wheels, availability of repair parts.

Philbert

Thanks man, thats great to know. I was hopin they would put it on sale sometime. Ill rep ya tomorrow!

Thanks man, thats great to know. I was hopin they would put it on sale sometime.

The grinding wheels are also on sale, for a few bucks off. As long as you already have to pay for shipping on the grinder, I would get an extra wheel of the size you think that you will use the most.

Takes a while to wear one down, but only seconds to drop one - then you are out of business for a while. I broke one the other day while moving my grinder, but had a spare and was good to go.

Philbert

Feeling a tad contrary tonight I'd not even tender a suggestion, rather ask what's your budget, what chains you are you going to sharpen for the wood you will be cutting, etc.

without that info, it's pissing in the wind a little, or a bit like trying to nail jelly to a tree.
If you are the anal retentive type like me with a penchant for getting things just-so (notwithstanding the recent screw up with my gas cans that nearly cooked a saw), and you love full chisel chains, then you'll probably want to square grind them and let those chains eat clean wood like there's no tomorrow. Then a swing-arm grinder capable of square grinding is the go: silvey, simmington are two brands.

Otherwise round grinding only, the tecomec super jolly (I kid you not, that's the name) or it's re-branded clones is a good pick, but hope you get one with a hydraulic vice that works and if not a hydraulic vice model, then one who's vise won't fall to bits the moment you treat it carelessly.

I don't think I've helped, but I wish you all the best as I'm beating down the same path as yourself.

Nah, to hell with it, go get yourself a dinasaw T-Rex with a ABC/CNN/FOX typhoon grinding wheel and make a coffee and sit back and enjoy the show.:rock:

Last edited:
Back