Chain Opinion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregon_Native

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i picked up a solo 662 used, it runs strong but needs chain and air filter cover.

I was wondering if i would see any difference if i switched to full skip from full comp it is a 28" bar running 3/8" pitch .050 Gage the saw displaces 63cc.

who ever owned this saw before didn't know how to keep the chain sharp so instead he took the rakers way down so when i sharpened it correctly it got extremely grabby and wants to jump but still cuts fast.

i currently have full skip on ALL my saws, from the 036 pro with a 20" to my 044 with 32" bar. my only reason is i suck at hand filing and its quick. you will get rougher cuts and can be very grabby, but ive got along 5 years on a strict diet of Stihl rapid super full skip. if your looking for a race or speedy saw, get a full comp and grind it up to your needs.

You should definitely see an increase in the ability of that smaller powerhead to pull a relatively long bar. Cut speeds may improve if chain speed was low enough with full comp to slow it down, although with fewer cutters cutting, you will get fewer chips created for each time the chain goes around the bar. This likely will not slow the cut down too much, as the added chip clearance and slightly less load on the powerhead should make up for having 1/2 as many cutters.

On the other hand do you need to run the 28 inch bar? With that set-up, you might be better off limiting it to 24 inch or less, or get a bigger saw!

24 inch with semi skip might work as a compromise...

id have to agree. but mabe u are cutting soft wood mostly. in any case id set the depth gauge down to the lower 20s.or mabe 18.this will help the saw hold rpm. i would think.jmo

i cut almost exclusively soft wood and the only reason i like the 28" bar is because i am tall and the ground is pretty far down there when liming so i would like to stick with it and the biggest cut i probably use it on is 8"-20"
any smaller and i grab my little saw any bigger and i get my bigggggg Mac (as soon as i get my 36" bar for it)

any way i have become fed up with almost all of my local saw shops except the one i bought this saw from because of extream cost and or extream incompetence on there part

today i bought a loop of chain for my saw at what i thought was a good place, But i turned out to be wrong about that. :angry:

i asked for Oregon 72 Serise 3/8" pitch .050" gage X 93 Drive Links which should be full comp full chisel but round ground

instead i got Windsor 50A 3/8" .050" gage X93 Drive Links which is semi chisel round ground full comp and it cost me $31 :angry: :angry:

i wont go back there any more.!

hey Oregon.. sounds like the saw shop i used to buy my stihl chain from..
last time i bought a chain i ordered a 3/8x.050 full skip rapid super..
opened the box at home and looked the chain over.. part RS, part chipper.. part full comp.. ???? thing had 5 splices in it! idiots tried to pass off bench scraps as a chain.. when i tried to return it they said its not their fault.. they clearly didnt make that chain.. after 30 min of yelling at them they admitted they KNEW the chain tech had a habbit of doing that and they replaced it with a proper loop. i have a chain breaker and spinner allready.. just need a spool of chain to get busy.

Advanced Rental = problematic overpriced Stihl dealer unable to fix Stihl equipment if their lives depended on it.

Wow, sounds like I should count my blessings for my Stihl dealer. Good guys and knowledgable. If you'ens is ever near Utica OH, stop and buy some loops. Just bought one for my 660. 32" .050 RS full compliment $18.00. Second loop of the same is always half price.

Butch(OH) said:
Wow, sounds like I should count my blessings for my Stihl dealer. Good guys and knowledgable. If you'ens is ever near Utica OH, stop and buy some loops. Just bought one for my 660. 32" .050 RS full compliment $18.00. Second loop of the same is always half price.
Well,those folks in Licking county aren't nearly the thieves they are in Allen county.The one and only loop I ever bought from a Stihl dealer was a 24" loop of .404 by .063 for $42.Needless to say,never again.I just call Baileys and in about 2 days,here it comes,in the mail,for a good price.

Al, Mast is their name, right on the south edge of town on 13. Pretty nice folks to chat with if your ever around the area.

yeah and i wont ever go to the sthil dealer near me either the charged me $38 for a loop of .404 X .063 for a 24" bar thats $0.50 a driver and $6 for a chisel file.

WAAAAAYYYYYYYY too pricey for me, Baileys is my one and only supplier for chain and files. never again will I buy from the local dealers what I can get from Baileys for a substantial deal less, and get treated like someone cares that I'm happy. $0.50 per d/l is rediculous.

Bailey's rocks - I concur they are the only place I purchase files from, and I have had good luck with their own label chain... run mostly 30 rc...

About using the full skip vs full compliment.........

Deffinatly I would never use anything other than full skip on a 28" bar if I only had 63cc to pull it with. That's the whole point of full skip: to make up for a lack of engine power pulling an unuasually large bar. (That's my opinion anyway)

I basically cut only hard wood though.

I run both full comp and skip on my long bars.The skip most likely clears chips better,but then I also am in the hardwoods,and am using big old saws too.I really haven't seen much difference in the speed.I've attempted to run a 28" bar on 60 cc saws but it's a bit of a strain on them.70 to 80 cc,in my opinion is about the smallest I would recommend.

i have an older 20"oregon bar that will fit my solo but it needs a sprocket( three rivet style) tip and rivets for it to bring it back i am going to try to buy one local form a company that specializes only in saw bars.

today i returned the chain i got and with out a single snivel they swapped me for Windsor full skip chisel so they scored some points back but i have greater loyalty to the shop i got this saw and my sp125 from.

Most West coasters use .063 gauge 3/8ths full skip.

attachment_16666.php

Blacksmith seems like there's a problem with your uploading, let me know if you need and help.
This is what I am seeing from Bob's PC.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Bob/Desktop/aardvark1.jpg

Latest posts

Back