chain or engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 6" Goofy file is about the size of a raker file, with rounded edges as stated earlier. If you can find them I prefer an 8" goofy, they'r easier to handle.
The chain is the weak link, if it aint sharp it aint cuttin.
Two saws equal power, & rpm. one round ground and one square ground, the square ground will win.
Once you use a square ground, the hypothetical bs seems to melt and run through the cracks. :blob2:

red,
yes that is race chain, well it will be when i get done with it. the back of the cutter is filed that way to assist with re-directing the chip as it comes off the chisel-angle. this allows the next modified rake to "plow" through the chips instead of "ride" on them. this method allows all the points to lift exactly the same amount of wood in the kerf.
this form of sharpening chain has to be closely monitored. removing any part of the rake and cutter will have a drastic affect on how the chain responds in the wood.
i have been in compititions where first, second and third have been measured in 1/100's of a second. no room for confusion there.
i heard that there is someone in nj that charges $100.00 to sharpen race chain. i have gone up against these chains (at least that is what is was told) an beat them. i reviewed the tapes and timed each cut of all competitors and found my saws do travel faster in the cuts.
marty

I'm of the thought that a grinder should be purchased long before any modded saws. Sharp chain is a key fundamental that is often overlooked particularly in the urban tree arena and to much lesser extent in the woods. :blob2:

A sharp chain makes it so much easier on the bar and sprocket as well as being able to get the job done with less oil. The chain just runs so much cooler.

P_woozel said:
I'm of the thought that a grinder should be purchased long before any modded saws. Sharp chain is a key fundamental that is often overlooked particularly in the urban tree arena and to much lesser extent in the woods. :blob2:
Woozel, You are so right. Almost every serious faller that I have been around has a grinder, but a lot of them run stock saws. Well maybe with a mod. muffler. :)

John

Back