Chain question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sapo_feo

Reaction score
I picked up a saw a few days ago that had been left outside in the rain for 6 months or so. As I cleaned the rust scale off I was surprised by the chain. The only shiny part of the saw is where the previous owner ground the chain into what only pictures can describe. I've never seen anything like it, unless you count a worn out chain, but this was fairly new and ground out, the rakers haven't been touched.
Anybody have any ideas? Does this grind have a purpose?
View attachment 248290
attachment.php

It looks like a well worn chain. the rakers look like they've been ground, at least the way i view the picture.

Maybe a better picture or two......more lighting.....

IMHO..the only thing these chains are good for are stump-grinding..!!

Or cutting when you know you are going to hit the dirt..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Just buy a new chain.

Chains are expendable, hanging on to a bad chain will cost more than what you're saving.

I have ruined more bars because of thrown chains with messed up drive teeth that I now put them aside if new. I then splice them with other chain when I have a half dozen or so to fix.

I always have a half dozen new chains ahead. That is beside the sharpened chains that are in my tupperware plastic sandwich boxes waiting to be used. Time is money, leaving the job early to get an expendable part is a waste of time.

Last edited:
The rakers are cut way down on that chain.

It is not ground at the correct angles

It is ground down beyond being useful. Throw it away.

Full skip with raker's ground down, looks like a fallers chain. Low raker's are a little grabby but really cut if you have enough power to pull it. I have some like that for my SP125.

What saw was it on?

How do you mean the rakers haven't been touched- they're square lol.

I have a chain that's more ground out than this one and still has all the teeth. :D Won't take another sharpening tho.

This is on a 2101. The reason I didn't think the rakers were ground is that I have a loop of late 80's Stihl .404 with square rakers. It's never been used. I'd post a pic, but it's at my shop and I don't want to drive down there. Maybe Monday.

Chain has just been used. Thats what they look like when you use em & file em......about 15 times over.
Thats when they start cuttin good.....:msp_thumbup:

And on a 2101... plenty of power to pull it! Did you run it? Rust don't matter, a couple cuts and it will look clean again!

Take a file and put a couple strokes on each tooth and then cut with it to see what you think.... bet it cuts. Its still got some meat on it, I run them until the teeth start to break off!

Your in the west coast, that saw come from a timber faller?

This saw came from a guy on craigslist. I don't know where he got it, but it's been outside for a long time. I'll need to do some serious work before I try to fire it up. It was certainly a fallers saw back in the day. It had a K&N and a shortened clutch cover, much like the old Homelites had back in the day. I got it for parts for my 2100, but now that I have it it needs to run, and maybe one day it will.Thanks to everyone for the chain advice. I guess I don't work hard enough because I have never had a chain look like that, even with 20 sharpenings.

It really is shocking how long a chain will last if you have a sharp file and a light touch. agree with sawtroll.

Back