Chain Saw History?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hello, was wondering about the history of Sachs Dolmar. My wife brought home a stray the other nite and I named it Dolmar (in anticipation of the 115 I haven't got yet:angry: ) Somebody out there said Dolmar came out w/the first gasoline chainsaw? I'm a history buff, this might be a good thread to post chainsaw history that you know?

Well I'm not 100% sure, but I thought that Stihl made the first viable one man gas saw, I know one before that was electric powered. :confused:

Happy Sawin'
Josh

Stihl says they made the world's first one-man gas saw in 1950. Homelite says they made the world's first one-man gas saw in 1949.

Go figure

Stihl probably made the first chainsaw, but it was an electric two man.

McCulloch's first masterpiece, the 3-25 came out in 1949...3 hp, 25lbs, one man. Then-new diaghragm carb allowed all position use...homelite's early models did not use this until later.

Some guy named Walter Hall published a book about chain saws a few years ago called "Barnacle Parp's chainsaw...something or other", that had some history. I think your library could get a copy.

The way I understand it Stihl did make the first chainsaw in 1923 but it was electric. SachsDolmar made the first gasoline powered saw in 1927. They made an excellent saw in the late 80's and 90's. As we all know the SachsDolmar name is now in the history books. However, the Dolmar saws look good. I have a 120 Super that knows no equal. All my Huskys are measured by it!!!!!

whell homelite's first one man was late 1949 early 1950. but you guys are forgetting the mall model 12A which was a one man saw back in the first part of 1949. it is a brute but still is under 40 lbs. lighter than homelites one man.

Emil Lerp built the first portable gasoline powered chain saw. He first used it on Mount DOLMAR in Thuringia Germany in 1927

1Säge1927.jpg

This is an article translated from Dolmar.com

Dolmar celebrates

- Dolmar celebrates the 75-jaehrige existence -

In these days celebrates Dolmar, the world-wide oldest manufacturer of petrol engine saws, the 75-jaehrige firm anniversary. 1927 brought the firm founder its first power saw to Emil Lerp on the forest-rich mountain Dolmar in Thuringia to the application. Today the enterprise ranks among the internationally leading manufacturers of engine devices for house and garden, for municipalities, land and forestry. From the modest origins with the first, rather heavyweighty two-man petrol engine saw up to the new innovative Dolmar professional power saws with an unequalled weight per horsepower of only 1.37 kg/KW it was a far way.

The long history of Dolmar is coined/shaped by a feature, which has to today validity: The high innovation strength. And draws the enterprise again and again drew the attention of the professional world with new, innovative developments on itself. In the year 1938 the enterprise with the petrol engine saw "type CL" presented a product, which was its time and was manufactured almost 30 years far ahead. Already 1952 went with Dolmar those world-wide first one-man petrol engine saw to the production start. A success sensational for this time, which involved a lasting rationalization in forestry. Only later Dolmar its prominent market position with still lighter, handy models developed few years. Owing to the strongly growing demand Dolmar referred 1969 a new factory at the current location in Hamburg Wandsbek.

Reduced 1972 imported 2-Massen-Vibrationsdaempfungssystem von Dolmar noticeably the physical load of the users of petrol engine saws. 1987 had Dolmar world-wide once more the nose in front: During the presentation of the first petrol engine saw with injection carburetor. That was also in the year 2000 like that, when the enterprise presented that world-wide first to prototypes of a 4-Takt-Benzin-Motorsaege, whose emission values themselves fall below the strict US exhaust standards clearly. Apart from the large, trailblazing developments the developers and technical designers of Dolmar paid their attention to facilitate for the user of Dolmar products the daily work by constant improvements and advancements.

But not only with petrol engine saws sets Dolmar to today yardsticks. The 1997 imported Trennschleifer were characterised away from the start by their trailblazing technique and the perfect, easy handling. With the in the meantime far optimized products it succeeded to further develop that Hamburg manufacturer its market position with a growth which is situated over the average of the market. Today the world market proportion of Dolmar Trennschleifern is situated already clearly over 10%.

With high investments in research, development, production and quality assurance Dolmar guarantees the request of the future to have grown. Dolmar sets fully and completely on the location Germany with its qualified, performance-ready coworkers. Because at no other location the targets of the enterprise can so successfully be carried out regarding productivity and quality.

In order to protect in the last years above average growth, Dolmar with high pressure operates more again on the development and the advancement of existing products. The introduction on the market of a new professional electrical hedge trimmer is approaching briefly. The professional electrical hedge trimmer is characterised by a completely new, innovative grasp system, which facilitates the work noticeably for the user by a larger range. Dolmar presents further new products on the GAFA 2002 in Cologne. In the coming 3 years that wants Hamburg manufacturer with innovative engine devices new market segments to open and to the consumer convincing alternatives to existing products supply.

Thanks Steve, and everyone, Where does Sachs come in, and when does he leave, as well as the rest of chainsaw history
?

Latest posts

Back