Chain saw milled gazebo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a Granberg Alaskan mill and a husky 288 xp. Sadly i have no photos of the milling process. The trees were all blow down which had been laying there for a couple of years, judging by the onset of decay. I milled douglas fir for the rafters, posts and beams last winter, and cedar for the soffit and fascia in the early spring. Most of the drying occurred naturally as a whole tree. However after i milled the tree I coated the timbers ends with wax and stacked them with stickers covered them with a tarp leaving the ends open for air flow. Ive experienced very minimal checking warp and shrinkage.
Thank you for the compliment.

Last edited:
WOW! Nice work! I'm inspired,going to look for Doug fir blow downs today.lol Wish i was in BC we have no to little Doug here in lower Mich. I may try basswood though.Seems to hold up if you keep it covered from the wet. Thanks for the awesome pics.:bowdown:

Very nice. I like the details on your king posts and the cedar looks great. Projects like this make me believe that CSM just might be worth all the time & effort.

I use a relatively less complicated method for keeping the rain & snow off my head when I'm in the hot tub - I wear a hat. Doesn't look nearly as nice, and uses much less wood (yes dear, I do plan to use all that wood eventually!)

OK. So I am thinking I may try a CSM on an 036 Pro. I am not cutting anything over 16" diameter. Will it kill my saw? I have never done this type of thing before and am wondering if I should buy a new saw? I have an 056 also. What is the best/least expensive mill to buy?Price isn't as important as how well it works and user friendly. The problem? I never do anything half way and I am sure pretty soon I will have twin 20hp engines turning a 6 foot bar...just gotta get started.:hmm3grin2orange:

OK. So I am thinking I may try a CSM on an 036 Pro. I am not cutting anything over 16

your 056 should work well enough if your not planning on milling anything larger then 16''. I would recommend using a granberg alaskan mill easy to use and affordable. Every one will say bigger is better as far as saw size.

Latest posts

Back