Chain saw parts problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher2

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My PS510 Dolmar saw ate the piston and cylinder. I need a source for the cylinder and piston. So far the only source I found wants $200.00 for the parts. The saw was only $300.00 new so I am not putting $200.00 worth of parts in it. The cylinder is a Mahle 45ZD5. I sure liked the little saw and thought it would last longer.

My PS510 Dolmar saw ate the piston and cylinder. I need a source for the cylinder and piston. So far the only source I found wants $200.00 for the parts. The saw was only $300.00 new so I am not putting $200.00 worth of parts in it. The cylinder is a Mahle 45ZD5. I sure liked the little saw and thought it would last longer.

What caused the melt down?....

The price sounds about right, unfortunately.

Are you sure the old cylinder cannot be salvaged ?

For $100 more I would go buy a new saw.

How long did it last? Based on your comment it doesn't sound good. Dolmar was an unknown to me when i was looking for a new saw. In researching I found a few dealers around me but agian, I had never seen one in action. It was worth the extra $ to me.

If you can't find a better price for a piston and cylinder, you could buy a new PS510 and use the smoked one you have now as a parts saw for the new one. That is unless you now have a bad taste in your mouth for Dolmar saws.

Thanks for the ideas. The saw only lasted just over a year.The saw must have been running lean. I have two guys that been helping me saw hedge post and fire wood and they fell in love with the saw so they ran it all the time. I do maintain the saw between uses blow it out clean air filter check chain and bar and run it . It didn't seem to be running lean but it must have been under load. I three Stihl saws two 038 and a 066 those saws have cut a lot of wood and the newest one is 25 years old. Those saws have never had any major work done to them, so I think we take care of our saws. Stihl two cycle oil is all I have every used and synthetic has been used in them since it has been made. I looked at Stihl when I bought the Dolmar and in the 50cc size Stihl didn't have any thing I thought was great. I should of keep the Dolmar locked in my pickup and only used it myself and it would still be running. I know a lot of times they should have been using one of the 038 but the Dolmar is a lot lighter saw. I run the buzz saw a lot so I don't watch them as I should so for now they will have to run the 038 and learn to like the extra weight. These two guys are 20 years younger than me so they can take it.

Just make sure it's running on the rich side of ideal... don't tune it to the ragged edge of peak performance. I've heard that a saw tuned like that doesn't like a heavy hand. Make sure your help doesn't own a screwdriver either.

Ian

Latest posts

Back