Chain Saw Sales Hawaii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So, we have all been watching the volcano activity in Hawaii.I have also see many trees brought down knocking down power lines by trees ext.So who is going to take their "Wild Thing" and have at it? What will the cost of say, a MS 271 be? What type of trees are there in Hawaii besides coconut, and palm trees? I doubt that there is a wood splitter any place on the island.What type of wood do they use to cook a pig with? Anyway just something that has crossed my mind, Ken

I don't see how they get anything done, with their woman all wearing them grass skirts and bikini tops!!

Lol, I wish that was the case.

There are more species of wood here than I can list. For smoking and cooking everyone prefers kiawe ( mesquite to you mainlanders ), though one guy I know will use mac nut. Just the wood I have worked with are,
kiawe, mango, norfolk pine, mexican cyprus, milo, koa, mac nut, lychee, silver oak, ohia, Brazilian pepper wood, monkeypod, and a little bit of coconut, which has a cool grain.

Saw prices are always high out here and shipping keeps getting higher all the time.

Lol, I wish that was the case.

There are more species of wood here than I can list. For smoking and cooking everyone prefers kiawe ( mesquite to you mainlanders ), though one guy I know will use mac nut. Just the wood I have worked with are,
kiawe, mango, norfolk pine, mexican cyprus, milo, koa, mac nut, lychee, silver oak, ohia, Brazilian pepper wood, monkeypod, and a little bit of coconut, which has a cool grain.

Saw prices are always high out here and shipping keeps getting higher all the time.
That mac nut and silver oak has some real pretty grain!

I don't know if heat is the right term but a lot of people have wood burning stoves. Here's my Jotul.
View attachment 653238
Last time I flew to the Big Island (late 90's), the airport (at least the baggage claim area) had a roof but open areas on the sides. I assumed that it never got cold enough to need windows that close.

Last time I flew to the Big Island (late 90's), the airport (at least the baggage claim area) had a roof but open areas on the sides. I assumed that it never got cold enough to need windows that close.
The first few years I was in Hawaii it never was cold enough to put on a jacket, windows and doors were kept open year-round. So when we designed a house to build there was no thought given to any heat source. Either I became acclimated to the tropics, or it was just a matter of getting older, but now the winters can be bitter cold with temperatures dipping into the low 60's. Right now, a late May mid-afternoon, the temperature is an unusually cool 72 and I am wearing a down jacket. I still refuse to wear long pants, but I wish the house design had included a propane fireplace. While I have lots of trees that I am constantly cutting down, most are soft weed trees that would be worthless for heating/cooking.

Probably a lot of the trees that have taken down power lines are albizia. They were imported from Africa and look nice from a distance, but they are brittle and it does not take much for branches or entire trees to come down. They are pretty dense in the Puna district, where the lava is flowing. After the last hurricane, when they were a tremendous problem, the county decided to take down the albizia along county roads, but like so many things in Hawaii, they talk about it and not much happens.

That's true down on the coast, I live at 3200' and it can dip into the 40's. That stove is sure nice then.

Around here 60-65* is a nice summer day. Been in the 30s-40s at night, 50s during the day.

Under around -20* and it starts to suck. 50* is about an ideal temp for me.

yeah I was the same way on okinawa...when I first got there at 18 I was sweating my ass off in the winter wool alphas as I got off the plane at kadena...after a couple of years I needed a jacket in the winter all 50 degrees of it.. Here in mainland we have a full five seasons.... winter, spring, summer, fall, and typhoon. ;)

technically typhoon is at the end of summer going into and most of fall...but it sounds funny anyways.

It's amazing how many different climate regions there are on the Big Island - at least 5, right? Rain forest, Desert........
Don't forget that Mauna Kea regularly has snow in the winter. Kea is the Hawaiian word for white, mauna is mountain. The top can be white as early as late October, and I could see snow on the peak this year on about May 1. Usually it will melt within a few days of falling, but it can have enough for skiing and sledding.
Here is a view from my house of the mountain with snow well down the sides. You can also spot some of the observatory domes on the summit.
greenhouse2.jpg

And to illustrate the climate diversity, this is what I see looking the other direction
2018-04-12.jpg

An amazing place. Glad I got to visit there twice. Might never again. Seems every day the volcano looks to be getting worse.

Don't forget that Mauna Kea regularly has snow in the winter. Kea is the Hawaiian word for white, mauna is mountain. The top can be white as early as late October, and I could see snow on the peak this year on about May 1. Usually it will melt within a few days of falling, but it can have enough for skiing and sledding.
Here is a view from my house of the mountain with snow well down the sides. You can also spot some of the observatory domes on the summit.
greenhouse2.jpg

And to illustrate the climate diversity, this is what I see looking the other direction
2018-04-12.jpg

Latest posts

Back