Chain selection help for MS210

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bensonjv

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions for a chain. I had used an 025 a long time ago with a much more aggressive chain compared to the Picco-Micro I am using now. I want something similar for my new MS210.

I recently purchased the Stihl MS210 with a 16" bar. Its for 90% home use, mostly for firewood. I came into a large amount of Eucalyptus recently. I can get through it, eventually, with the OEM Picco-Micro low-kickback chain. But I want to take bigger bites.

Can you suggest a chain (and bar if an upgrade is required) that will be more aggressive (faster cutting)?

Thanks.

Given the engine size of the 021/210, you're pretty much stuck with the 3/8LP. It doesn't really have the guts to pull a larger .325" chain properly.

The 021/210, 023/230 and 025/250 are the same saws with different cylinders and pistons, so the sprocket, bar and chain would all be the same as for the 250 if you feel the need to try it.

Your best bet is to make sure you're using a non safety 3/8LP chain, like the PM(not PM1) from Stihl or 91VS/VX(not VG) from Oregon. Currently you have the PM1 on by the fact you say it is a low kickback chain. Swapping to non low kickback chain will give a noticeable boost to the performance. A shorter bar will give less reach, but better cutting as well.

Otherwise, buy, rent or borrow a larger saw for this job, if your usual needs are met by the 210.

That's what I get for trying to save a couple bucks. I had the 250 in my hand and second guessed my need for it, settling for the 210.

I'll replace the PM1 for a non-safety chain and just take smaller bites. Thanks.

saw chain

I can tell a little difference in the PM and PM1 but I have recently demoed one with the new PMC3 that's gonna replace the PM1 and it's still officially low kickback but it cuts as good as the PM.

Remember its just a little saw - 35cc. Keep to the PM/PMC3 chain, the narrow gauge is fine for the size of the saw. I've had an 021 for about 10 years, it's a great little saw for small work.
If it is still new give it time to wear in, my 250 has really only just developed all its 'potential' after 5/6 tanks. The compression will catch you by surprise if you're not ready!

I bought a couple of PM chains to replace the PM1 and the difference was very noticeable. Although I don't want to put the blame for unsatisfactory performance solely on the safety chain, the chain swap was a significant performance upgrade.

Now that I've had several tankfuls run through, should I take it to the dealer and have them tune it?

the PMC3 isn't nearly as bad as the PM1...you might notice the difference still but it'll be a lot less than compared to the PM1

Back