Chain sharpener types pro and cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobster1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a chain sharpener. Should I purchase a stihl file kit for my sharpening needs. I plan to sharpen my 28" chain once a week. I have 4 RM and 2 full skip chains....

Or should I purchase a 511 bench sharpener?

I know not to purchase the dremel kit (destroys metal temper.)

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Dremel filling kit works well. Put care, and no problem whit these. But I prefer file by hand, or file guide.

granberg

I like the granberg joint and file ,TEDMI
000_0764.jpg

000_0766.jpg

000_0765.jpg

Chain sharpeners

I' ve been using a very (>40years) old Montgomery Wards guide that looks like a lighter duty version of the Granberg also. Lately, I've taken to using a Stihl file holder for hand filing for the semi-chisel chains, but still use the Wards for full chisel, where I hold the two angles (25 and 10 degrees) simultaneously. I'll probably buy a Granberg eventually. Gene Gauss

Wow, that Granberg looks top notch, and is a hell alot cheaper than the Oregon 511A Bench Chain Grinder/Sharpener. I found one of those Granbergs for $40.00. I will wait about a week before I purchase it. Thanks:clap:

Not trying to sound like a wise-en -hymer but people make way too big of a deal about sharpening a chain.The little Dremels are fine for repairing a damaged chain.A bench mount does a great job but costs some moola.The Granberg file guide does fine but takes a bit to install.

Free Hand filing is fast but you need to learn the knack.An age old cheap solution is the old stand by Oregon file guide,about 8 bucks including two files.Follow the directions,you can't miss.

Wow, that Granberg looks top notch, and is a hell alot cheaper than the Oregon 511A Bench Chain Grinder/Sharpener. I found one of those Granbergs for $40.00. I will wait about a week before I purchase it. Thanks:clap:

I don't know where you're getting yours from, but Bailey's sells them also:

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15200&catID=272 .

I have the Oregon version of the Granberg, but I think I would like the all-metal components of the Granberg better. My next chain order for Bailey's might include the Granberg.

I also use the Carlton File-O-Plate (from Bailey's) when I don't feel like fooling with the Oregon.

I also have the Oregon guide that Al Smith mentioned, but even though it's simple to use, it doesn't feel right for me. And finally I have one of those cheap Harbour Freight grinders that's used for really bad chains.

Kevin

Last edited:
I've had a bell grinder for over 30 years,The last time I bought wheels I was told those were the last he had and can't get no more.Last week I went to the local auction and picked up a foley belsaw model 308 for $20,couldn't believe it the extra stones and depth gages were worth that.Out in the woods I carry a jig like Al has.Pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Took the plunge and bought the ritzy Stihl bench mounted file guide. It's already paid for a quarter of itself being that my sawing and sharpening happens when I'm home from college.

Latest posts

Back