chain sharpening question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nomak

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking at this particular setup to sharpen my chains with and I was wondering your opinions on it good, bad, or is there better at reasonable prices?? and also it says it only works on full comp chain with the oregon series chains "Oregon All 72, 73, 75 and 16, 18, 27, 52, 59 series chains (full comp only) ".. I use 72 LGX series round ground chisel according to what my box says that the chain I ordered came in.. So is this chain I am using a full comp and what other comps are there.. I guess I need a tutorial on all things about chains...lol... but if anyone can help me out here it would be much appreciated..thanks,,

https://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=17049&catID=9956

<br>

Last edited:
Did you name what the product is your questioning or did I just miss it? :dizzy: Maybe I just need to read closer, you're asking bout a chain right?

That should work if you use lgx since lgx is full comp. There's full comp, half skip, and (full) skip as well as other oddball chains. It has to do with the amount and thus the spacing of the cutters on a chain.

I saw that filing guide and was curious as to how well it works.

I honestly would start filing with the granberg file guide that bailey's sells. I've used my fathers oregon grinding wheel forever, but decided I needed to teach myself to hand file. I was able to file sharp, even cutters teh first time and the angles are perfect. And the save-edge files are as good as they say!

I honestly would start filing with the granberg file guide that bailey's sells. I've used my fathers oregon grinding wheel forever, but decided I needed to teach myself to hand file. I was able to file sharp, even cutters teh first time and the angles are perfect. And the save-edge files are as good as they say!

+ 1 on the save-edge files

hey i just bought one of those last week
i wanted to try some woodlands pro chain on my husky 350, and then i saw that file gauge guide thing and decided to get one
its a pretty cool tool especially for if you are still getting the hang of hand filing, its not idiot proof, but its 10times better than juust going at it freehand with only a round file, i like that it takes your depth gauges down as well on each stroke, that was why i got it. its a handy little tool, only used it a couple times so far, but im happy.
i really dont see why anyone woould buy 2 like they recommend, it takes maybe 5-10 seconds to unsnap the fittings that hold the files in, reserve the files, and lock them back in. no need to buy 2. just keep an eye on the arrow on the flat file and make sure you have it facing the right way :D very cool tool, worth the money.

That should work if you use lgx since lgx is full comp. There's full comp, half skip, and (full) skip as well as other oddball chains. It has to do with the amount and thus the spacing of the cutters on a chain.

I saw that filing guide and was curious as to how well it works.

I've had one that's similar to that one pictured for several years. They work pretty well, but are just about as good as the guy using it. You can still over-sharpen or undersharpen or get the wrong angle, but the guide helps if you take the time to get used to it.

...and as has been said on here previously, it will "match up" each raker with its respective cutter. I've used mine for over a yr and always feel more "secure" with it on the bar than when I attempt to hand file. That's just me.
Agree with who said above......only need 1, not 2 of em.
Fran

Latest posts

Back