chain stretch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl rim sprockets are cheap.... any question replace em.. Madsens has em for under $5.
always try to have a few extras laying around... takes all of 5 minutes to change out.

I'm with fish.. a worn out sprocket will wear on a chain. normally if a chain stretches to the point of needing a link out.... that chain is getting tossed, along with a new sprocket getting installed.

save the almost worn out chains for the really dirty jobs. then pitch afterwards.
I'm with fish too,I never have any chains that stretchethat much.I sharpen my chains as soon as I feel any slowing in the wood and am always checking the bar for any slack in it.I have seen some people dull a chain by hitting the ground or cutting in dirty wood and just keep cutting because they are too lazy to stop and sharpen it and that is where you can really stretch a chain.Take the time to sharpen your chain when it starts cutting slower.:chainsaw:

041 is an outboard spur sprocket, you have to replace the whole clutch drum which means you have to take the clutch off to change it, not an easy field swap like an inboard with a rim.

The clutch drums are somewhere between 15.00 and 30.00 dollars depending on what you are buying and from who.
yeah, PITA. Not like my others are inboard though - 076,056...
£10 oregon NOS off ebay...

I was just remembering about 25 30 years ago my logging buddy had a chain that he said was made for dirty cutting and cutting on landings after the trees were skidded in,he said it was called a butterfly chain.It had two thin cutters that looked like wings and you sharpened it going straight across with the file.Anyone ever heard of these or seesn one lately?

been awhile since I had an 041... flat forgot they had an outboard sprocket.

just like the Husky 394xp I just got... outboard sprockets are a pita!

been awhile since I had an 041... flat forgot they had an outboard sprocket.

just like the Husky 394xp I just got... outboard sprockets are a pita!

new guy guestion - what's the difference between an outboard and inboard sprocket?

new guy guestion - what's the difference between an outboard and inboard sprocket?

Outboard clutch = sprocket is between engine and clutch.
Inboard clutch = clutch is between sprocket and engine.

Spur sprocket = integral part of clutch drum.
Rim sprocket = replaceable sprocket, rides on splined output stub on clutch drum.

Basically, when you take off the side cover to mount or change your chain, if the sprocket is right there, it is an outboard sprocket. A lot of STIHL saws are like this. If you have to lift the chain over the clutch to reach the sprocket, it is an inboard sprocket. A lot of Husqvarna saws are like this.

Check out pages 88 - 89 of the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual ( http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/tech_safety.htm ) for illustrations - there is a lot of good general info in there, along with explanations of spur and rim sprockets.

Philbert

Outboard clutch = sprocket is between engine and clutch.
Inboard clutch = clutch is between sprocket and engine.

Spur sprocket = integral part of clutch drum.
Rim sprocket = replaceable sprocket, rides on splined output stub on clutch drum.

Thanks !

Back