Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil Poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Chainsaw 2 Cycle Oil

• Echo Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Echo Red Armor

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Husqvarna XP+

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Husqvarna HP

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Amsoil Dominator

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Amsoil Saber

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • VP

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Stihl HP Ultra (Silver)

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Stihl High Performance (Orange)

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Lucas

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can think of a couple reasons. First, inertia. And a better reason, a single #2 Phillips is the proper driver for #5 thru #12 machine screws and will work in a pinch on larger.

Seems to me that the dislike of Phillips screws would be better directed at crappy/abused drivers and the mixing up of Phillips, Reed & Prince, and JIS tools and fasteners.
Phillips is fine until you’ve used torx. The problem is needing to press the driver down into the head as well as turning it as opposed to only needing to turn it with a torx

When I was new to chainsaws I was clueless (as most are) as to what oils do what. I figured a gray bottle of Stihl synthetic was premium stuff. Then I found this forum and started looking at my pistons to learn more. My first 261CM had this nasty brown crap all over the piston from Stihl Ultra...then I switched to Red Armor. Low and behold they have been shiny, clean pistons ever since. This one isn't just internet hype.

None. I currently use oregon two stroke oil 50:1. I like oils that are designed for chainsaws or weedwackers as these get hotest. Plus Jaso FD rated. Generally I find semi synthetic to leave the best lubrication in the cylinder.

The best additives are made by Chevron and Mobil. They use the best in house and do not sell them.
I have seen many oil analysis for large mining equipment, but none for Amsoil, because the large companies I worked for wouldn't buy Amsoil.
This equipment was ran in punishing conditions and to failure. Not some guy that splits his time polishing his truck with diapers and browsing BITOG.
I can say for certain that for conventional oils Shell Rottella and Chevron Delo are superb. For synthetics Mobil Delvac as well as Chevron and Shell synthetic are also superb.
I like the Rotella T for sure, I run it in my small fleet, never had a problem.

I like the Rotella T for sure, I run it in my small fleet, never had a problem.
I have run Rotella T 15w-40 for numerous service trucks & my personal vehicle awesome product . When Rotella sales became spotty during covid , I switched to Amsoil Diesel Severe service oil , in the service fleet . The oil analysis results came back as same as the Rotella . I then decided to run the Amsoil , in my Dodge 2500 Cummins also due to it being a little cheaper . Both products do the job . It was purely a economic driven decision lol.

I have run Rotella T 15w-40 for numerous service trucks & my personal vehicle awesome product . When Rotella sales became spotty during covid , I switched to Amsoil Diesel Severe service oil , in the service fleet . The oil analysis results came back as same as the Rotella . I then decided to run the Amsoil , in my Dodge 2500 Cummins also due to it being a little cheaper . Both products do the job . It was purely a economic driven decision lol.
How many mile oil change intervals would you say would be good for severe duty?

I was just cussing at those stupid Robinson bits a few weeks ago, not the screws, but the bits. They don't like impact drivers and like to snap the tip off in the screw. Ended up tossing the screws and getting torx screws. Life was good again.

How many mile oil change intervals would you say would be good for severe duty?
I don't push the envelope Wolfy , I run bypass dual filters , & run 10k oil change intervals . I could do more from what the oil analysis indicate . As your aware with my preferred customer discount , its purely apple to apple economics . Shell also is a world class oil producer !

I don't push the envelope Wolfy , I run bypass dual filters , & run 10k oil change intervals . I could do more from what the oil analysis indicate . As your aware with my preferred customer discount , its purely apple to apple economics . Shell also is a world class oil producer !
I do 3-5 K, but sometimes it's in a full year. Does that hurt anything?

What would you say on the diesel filter changes once a year or every six months?
With a single extended service synthetic filter it's plausible . Better yet twin bypass filters make that routine , even in extreme severe applications . Its all about working within the oil & filter expressed service duty life , which routinely is expressed within a defined operating & mileage parameter . Today's extended service oils & filters really reduces filter loading & therefore extends both the oil & filters effective service life !

I was just cussing at those stupid Robinson bits a few weeks ago, not the screws, but the bits. They don't like impact drivers and like to snap the tip off in the screw. Ended up tossing the screws and getting torx screws. Life was good again.

Robertson.

Weird. I have driven thousands of robertson screws of various kinds over the years and have broken only a tiny, tiny amount of them. Like almost never in a particular project. Perhaps your screws were junk. Or you continued to keep hammering after the screws were home. That'll break anything.

Robertson.

Weird. I have driven thousands of robertson screws of various kinds over the years and have broken only a tiny, tiny amount of them. Like almost never in a particular project. Perhaps your screws were junk. Or you continued to keep hammering after the screws were home. That'll break anything.
flat head metal screws for the buildings rear wall braces. Ran and got a few different brands of bits, didn't matter they all snapped the square off in the screws the second the impacts started. Screws not even fully seated,.most still a solid 1/4" away from seating. Dewalt, Milwaukee and some generic brand of bits all broke. Junk, ordered torx screws and didn't have any issues from there on out.

flat head metal screws for the buildings rear wall braces. Ran and got a few different brands of bits, didn't matter they all snapped the square off in the screws the second the impacts started. Screws not even fully seated,.most still a solid 1/4" away from seating. Dewalt, Milwaukee and some generic brand of bits all broke. Junk, ordered torx screws and didn't have any issues from there on out.
I got Wiha torx bits and they have never broke.

And I have broken two torx bits off in screws. Never a robertson. Weird.

The best part of robertson bits is that they will hold the screw at any angle without it falling off the bit.

Was using Motul 800 2T and Maxima K2 both were producing to much carbon so I switched to Yamalube 2R all of them at 32 to 1 Running Dolmar PS-5105SC and Husqvarna 346XP at 14,500 rpm's and no scored P&C's in 15 years.

Back