Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one is to talk about large collections, you need to mention Leeha. Without a doubt he has more 100+ cc saws than anyone on this forum. Probably 90% are runners too.

I have about 70 running muscle saws, and over 100 runners total. I have about 10 ported saws. I just purchased an Echo 1201 which is in route from Malaysia (CAD). Most of my saws are no longer tools, they are part of a collection. Realistically, most of the muscle saws are too cumbersome to be practical, especially where I live. There are exceptions though. Sometimes When I have a big tree to cut up, I will grab a 128 cc McCulloch Kart saw just for the rush of watching it chew through large logs with such amazing speed that it gives me a rush.

The nice part about that collection is that these saws tend to retain their value very well, I would imagine that if I went to sell my collection I could recoup most of my money spent, if not more.

Guido is hands down the poster boy for CAD.
I suspect Mo.Jim is not far behind but his is buried in several places making an accurate count impossible.
I mean a dozen Pro Mac 850's. Really!!

I think I lag behind Lee in terms of numbers, certainly if you are talking 6 cubes and above.

There are guys on the West Coast (i.e. Rik and Cliff) who have larger and nicer collections than I do.

How many saws do I need? I have a 6401 Makita 20" bar 3/8 chain and a 359 Husky 18" bar and .325 chain.. These are used for firewood on dead Eucalypt logs from 1' to 2' thick, and an occasional bigger one. Tell me what else I need, please. I've got the bug ( thanks to you fellers), but unsure what else I could require .
You NEED a PS-79xx saw , color irrelevant (I prefer red)! :)
Wait for one to pop up for a good price in great condition like I did and snatch her.
Keep Your PS-6401 , add a PS-79xx and have fun!

Big USA style dogs thanks to @computeruser = PS-7900 , puny Europe style dog = PS-6400:
DSC00339.JPG

I don't have a "collection", just an "accumulation". I need to whittle it down a bit. Haven't sold much lately but also haven't purchased much either... It's a start... I did use three saws on Saturday doing a tree job. First one we've had for a while. Just hasn't been very stormy here.

Wifey and I visited with Lee yesterday for an hour or so on our way Home from our Daughters H.S. graduation. Nauset Regional High School up on the Cape. Graduates (roughly 230 of them), friends, families and stray tag-a-longs all crammed into the Gym had a collective headcount of probably not even 75% of the number of saws Lee shared with us yesterday. Some, one-of-a-kind which you most likely won't ever see again anywhere else other than in his collection. This man has left CAD far behind him in his past. I believe they're still searching for an acronym to capture where Lee is in his walk with this...

What my Bride and I witnessed yesterday is nothing short of a passion for knowledge, the kind of knowledge that comes only through years of the discerned collecting of a specific few models of saws and the joy that springs from all that brings and the stories each one of them have permanently attached to them. Awesome.

For the next 4 hours driving Home last night, and for the first time in as long as I can remember, my incredibly beautiful Wife had absolutely nothing whatsoever to say, negative or otherwise, about my collections of guns - knives - ammo - flashlights - tractors - matchbooks - hurricane lamps - tools - books - underwear riddled with holes - beercan pulltabs from the 70's & 80's all linked together in a chain - pre-EPA/CARB gas cans - BBQ grills - whatever, you name it but most especially: CHAINSAWS!

Lee, thank-you for that, and thank-you for welcoming us into your Home, sharing with us as you did. :)

I grew out of "collecting" and I'm glad I did. Clutter is a symptom of a weak-willed man, which can devolve into full blown hoarding, which can border on mental illness.
There are psychological reasons why people hoard and collect, none of them flattering. This is not to say there aren't sensible reasons to lay in for spares, or that certain projects aren't tempting and its easy to wake up one day, look around and realize you have too many irons in too many fires (I have a weakness for cheap fixer-uppers where I can make some trivial repair and get something nice for pennies on the dollar) but there is a strange breed of man who falls into this bizarre, fetishistic mindset where he becomes interested in something, then obsessively hoards its associated accouterments.

For a long time I was interested in the shooting sports. I went to a couple internet meetups and encountered 'forum denizens', put faces to screen names... Here were guys who all proudly laid out dozens and dozens of rifles in every imaginable configuration with tens of thousands of dollars worth of optics and accessories, then I'd watch them waste 7 shots taking careful aim at a bowling pin 25m away before they'd graze it once. I play guitar. Even worse than guns, "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome" is standard, yet I've never heard a single person who boasted a huge collection of music gear ever pick one up and blow me away with their ability to play it. Ever. Not once. Mid-level mediocre is about the best I've seen from any 'guitar collector'. Strangely enough, though, every long-term-awful player I know seems to own 20 guitars. Woodworking forums, no different. Guys who breathlessly laud the critical importance of their Lie Nielsen planes and $350 chisel sets, yet they build jewlery boxes and birdhouses.

I guess the point I'm making is that I realized a long time ago that acquisition of skill, competence and wisdom is the objective in any endeavor. There seems to be an inevitable subgroup who wants to be involved but isn't willing to put in the hard work required to attain skill, so they soothe themselves by hoarding gear.

I own one saw. Its on its second repair. Here shortly, I'll probably need a bigger saw. The two saws I actually need will be it for me.

Wifey and I visited with Lee yesterday for an hour or so on our way Home from our Daughters H.S. graduation. Nauset Regional High School up on the Cape. Graduates (roughly 230 of them), friends, families and stray tag-a-longs all crammed into the Gym had a collective headcount of probably not even 75% of the number of saws Lee shared with us yesterday. Some, one-of-a-kind which you most likely won't ever see again anywhere else other than in his collection. This man has left CAD far behind him in his past. I believe they're still searching for an acronym to capture where Lee is in his walk with this...

What my Bride and I witnessed yesterday is nothing short of a passion for knowledge, the kind of knowledge that comes only through years of the discerned collecting of a specific few models of saws and the joy that springs from all that brings and the stories each one of them have permanently attached to them. Awesome.

For the next 4 hours driving Home last night, and for the first time in as long as I can remember, my incredibly beautiful Wife had absolutely nothing whatsoever to say, negative or otherwise, about my collections of guns - knives - ammo - flashlights - tractors - matchbooks - hurricane lamps - tools - books - underwear riddled with holes - beercan pulltabs from the 70's & 80's all linked together in a chain - pre-EPA/CARB gas cans - BBQ grills - whatever, you name it but most especially: CHAINSAWS!

Lee, thank-you for that, and thank-you for welcoming us into your Home, sharing with us as you did. :)

Very well said.......Lee gave me the nickel tour last fall.....all the way up into the attic......incredible...and he knows each and every one...they all have a story...priceless...

I grew out of "collecting" and I'm glad I did. Clutter is a symptom of a weak-willed man, which can devolve into full blown hoarding, which can border on mental illness.
There are psychological reasons why people hoard and collect, none of them flattering. This is not to say there aren't sensible reasons to lay in for spares, or that certain projects aren't tempting and its easy to wake up one day, look around and realize you have too many irons in too many fires (I have a weakness for cheap fixer-uppers where I can make some trivial repair and get something nice for pennies on the dollar) but there is a strange breed of man who falls into this bizarre, fetishistic mindset where he becomes interested in something, then obsessively hoards its associated accouterments.

For a long time I was interested in the shooting sports. I went to a couple internet meetups and encountered 'forum denizens', put faces to screen names... Here were guys who all proudly laid out dozens and dozens of rifles in every imaginable configuration with tens of thousands of dollars worth of optics and accessories, then I'd watch them waste 7 shots taking careful aim at a bowling pin 25m away before they'd graze it once. I play guitar. Even worse than guns, "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome" is standard, yet I've never heard a single person who boasted a huge collection of music gear ever pick one up and blow me away with their ability to play it. Ever. Not once. Mid-level mediocre is about the best I've seen from any 'guitar collector'. Strangely enough, though, every long-term-awful player I know seems to own 20 guitars. Woodworking forums, no different. Guys who breathlessly laud the critical importance of their Lie Nielsen planes and $350 chisel sets, yet they build jewlery boxes and birdhouses.

I guess the point I'm making is that I realized a long time ago that acquisition of skill, competence and wisdom is the objective in any endeavor. There seems to be an inevitable subgroup who wants to be involved but isn't willing to put in the hard work required to attain skill, so they soothe themselves by hoarding gear.

I own one saw. Its on its second repair. Here shortly, I'll probably need a bigger saw. The two saws I actually need will be it for me.

You Sir....are a buzz kill.......probably not wrong...but a buzz kill none-the-less.....

Back