Chainsaw Blades

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastorchris

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am cutting up a 30' dry very seasoned walnut tree. 9" top to a 15" base (side to side after fell). Question is my blade seems to need sharpening frequently. Normal or Not?

I am cutting up a 30' dry very seasoned walnut tree. 9" top to a 15" base (side to side after fell). Question is my blade seems to need sharpening frequently. Normal or Not?
Dry wood always takes a toll on chains so yes. That is a chain you are referring to.

Even dry walnut should not cause premature wear. The wood is not that hard. If it were locust, then yes. If you are hitting the ground with the chain or the bark has dirt/mud on it, the chain will also dull quickly. Don't continue cutting until the chain is sharpened or you can cause excess wear to the guide bar and possibly damage the saw due to overheating.

Thank you, probably need to invest in higher quality chain.
Post some close up photos of the teeth on your chain and these guys can tell you what may be going on. You can learn to sharpen or pay a lot to get them sharpened. Even a cheap chain should be able to cut up your 30' log on a single sharpening unless it's covered in dirt or has metal embedded in it.

Latest posts

Back