"Chainsaw" Charity Threads But No Sandy Support Links?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PogoInTheWoods

Don't forget about the alligators...
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Be nice to see a rather prominent link somewhere real obvious for the Red Cross under the circumstances..., oh..., I dunno..., just because?

Everyone else gets a charity thread around here, why not a legit entity whose task at hand is greater than anything we or the recipients of their efforts could ever imagine?

We're obviously a charitable group when chainsaws are dangling at the end of the string, but this is way beyond Wiggs missin' some work or Landrum's guy gettin' hurt or Jasha gettin' mangled...way beyond.

Site Owners/Mods? Why not? At least a freekin' link to the Red Cross and/or other legit entities supporting the Sandy relief effort should be the minimum you establish as credible website managers who foster charity activity on just about any other level when originated by more prominent forum members regardless of the credibility of the effort -- not saying the ones I referenced weren't credible.

Just sayin'...

...and challengin'.

Last edited:
That's a nice thought but when we donate to another member we know that 100% of what we donate goes to that member. The same can't be said of some of the disaster relief organizations.

When we donate to help a fellow member our donations are targeted directed to the person who needs them the most.

If people want to donate to disaster relief there are websites already available to do just that.

If people want to donate to a fellow AS member we're usually the only means they have of getting the word out and the donations in.

And, for what it's worth, all donations are voluntary. As they should be. Trying to dare us or shame us into an act of charity defeats the purpose.

That's a nice thought but when we donate to another member we know that 100% of what we donate goes to that member. The same can't be said of some of the disaster relief organizations.

When we donate to help a fellow member our donations are targeted directed to the person who needs them the most.

If people want to donate to disaster relief there are websites already available to do just that.

If people want to donate to a fellow AS member we're usually the only means they have of getting the word out and the donations in.

And, for what it's worth, all donations are voluntary. As they should be. Trying to dare us or shame us into an act of charity defeats the purpose.

Not trying to dare you into anything aside from providing prominent additional conduit to the entities....ya know, sorta like a "public service" kinda thing?

It was simply a matter of suggesting that the lack of such voluntary options relative to the Sandy relief resources being conspicuously absent from AS seemed, well, rather hypocritical in a general policy sense.

And regarding responsible management of contributions toward recent charities here? I'm still waiting for a check to clear that was sent to one back in August.

Don't want a pissing contest, but it is what it is.

Arbitrary and hypocritical policy.

Ok. I'll accept the ban and infraction. But BS is BS.

Fast-forward to 2010

As of 2010, Marsha J. Evans, was no longer employed by the American Red Cross. According to United Press International, Gail McGovern took over as CEO of the American Red Cross in 2008 at an annual salary of $500,000 plus a signing bonus of $65,000.

Brian Gallagher is still President and CEO of United Way, and currently earns $1,037,140 a year, according to a December 2010 report from the American Institute of Philanthropy.

from Salaries of Charity CEOs Compared - Urban Legends

I refuse to give money knowing a great deal is lining some rich-cats pockets.

What I would rather do is load my saws, gas, and related essentials in my truck and drive several hours to lend a hand to those who need it..

Maybe a community help section as a place to designated threads to organize such true charity work, and supporting AS members all in one location.

dw

To my knowledge all helping AS member threads are started by members, sponsoring members or the such, not by SA directly.

dw

I know for a fact that a bunch of linemen from Wisconsin drove out to NJ to help restore power to those affected by Sandy. They were turned away because they didn't hold a union card. I refuse to offer my help to people that refuse the generosity of others.

Not trying to dare you into anything aside from providing prominent additional conduit to the entities....ya know, sorta like a "public service" kinda thing?

It was simply a matter of suggesting that the lack of such voluntary options relative to the Sandy relief resources being conspicuously absent from AS seemed, well, rather hypocritical in a general policy sense.

And regarding responsible management of contributions toward recent charities here? I'm still waiting for a check to clear that was sent to one back in August.

Don't want a pissing contest, but it is what it is.

Arbitrary and hypocritical policy.

Ok. I'll accept the ban and infraction. But BS is BS.

Arbitrary and hypocritical? Because we 're not doing it your way? You need to rethink that just a little.

Back