Chainsaw Diagnostics: Husqvarna 268

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Husqvarna 268:

New P&C
New carb kit + fuel lines
New fuel filter
Starts & idles fine. Low speed and idle adjustments perform as expected.

When given full throttle, saw accelerates well (Low speed adjusted properly) and achieves full throttle. After sustained full throttle the saw begins to wind down, as if it is draining the bowl of fuel and is running out.

It is possible to allow the saw to return to idle and it will steady out. High speed adjustments don't seem to help (aside from a slight leaning will allow the saw to run at full throttle RPM's slightly longer.

Ideas? Carb has been gone through and through, and looks pretty darn clean.

air leak??? Have you had it pressure tested?
did you flip the diaphragm in the carb the wrong way? my dad did it to is and I just flipped it the right way. never had another problem with saw. still can,t tell my dad a thing that was a huge pill of humble pie for him to swallow. L.o.L best of luck Bill

husky 268

hi , i had similar problem with an 076 with new fuel lines , the fuel hose from a stihl dealer was a fraction loose , felt tight but was sucking air , tried everything else and finally tried a cable tie on fuel line and wham , 36" 404 thru hardwood as smooth as a silk , near drove me to drink (more) .

Either tank vent, or kinked/obstructed fuel line. I have a 290 doing the same thing now. Fuel line is collapsing inside under suction.

Did you look or blow air through that fuel line before you installed it? There could be a piece of crud in the line or filter even though they are new. Possibly a kink in the line inside the tank. Is it an OEM line and filter, or aftermarket?

If it is the tank vent, it will run longer with less fuel in the tank. The more air in the tank, the more it can expand before creating enough low pressure to stop fuel flow. I would drain the tank down to about 1/3 and try running it. If the problem is noticabley better, you might want to focus on the vent. If it is not much different, I'd look closely at the fuel line and filter.

Either tank vent, or kinked/obstructed fuel line. I have a 290 doing the same thing now. Fuel line is collapsing inside under suction.

Did you look or blow air through that fuel line before you installed it? There could be a piece of crud in the line or filter even though they are new. Possibly a kink in the line inside the tank. Is it an OEM line and filter, or aftermarket?

If it is the tank vent, it will run longer with less fuel in the tank. The more air in the tank, the more it can expand before creating enough low pressure to stop fuel flow. I would drain the tank down to about 1/3 and try running it. If the problem is noticabley better, you might want to focus on the vent. If it is not much different, I'd look closely at the fuel line and filter.

:agree2:

Latest posts

Back