Chainsaw Dyno bring saws to there knees. Build from start to end with video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent work man. Much kudos. I want one! How much do you think ya have sunk into it, if ya don't mind me askin? Just to see how unaffordable it would be for me :)

Excellent work man. Much kudos. I want one! How much do you think ya have sunk into it, if ya don't mind me askin? Just to see how unaffordable it would be for me :)

Roughly $750 in supplies. I would have to have $1500 to let this one go. It would be much faster on the next one I build. I don't have the time now to build but come winter ill be into making a couple more to sell.

The 460 is next for a ported big bore. It will be time consuming but it will get the dyno test after every little mod.

Congrats!
Glad to see it in real life.

Hmm, ad a bit of creative plumbing to feed the carb from multiple tanks
for switching feed streams on the fly and run a mix oil tests.
hard to say about the residual lube altering on the fly testing though.

A bar oiler feed would take longer for the chain to clear and probly
not able give a complete oil changover without stopping and washing the chain.

this sort of (a more affordable) rig should open up some interesting things.

Since i'm no mastermind in hydralics what size pump did you use in your set up and i wonder if power steering pumps out of the heavier cars or lite trucks would be suitable for a test machine ?

Very Cool! I like the "outside the box" thinking. Not many guys are left in this world that can build anything for themselves. Your Dyno is cool, I bet you had some smile on your face when you saw it working for the first time.

Very Cool! I like the "outside the box" thinking. Not many guys are left in this world that can build anything for themselves. Your Dyno is cool, I bet you had some smile on your face when you saw it working for the first time.

Thanks! Yup still got that smile

I designed and built this electric power unit three years ago. It has a 10 hp electric motor running two hyd pumps. One pump supplys 12 gpm to a variable speed controlled hyd high torque motor that is connected to a pto shaft. The other pump supplys oil for a hyd valve for two remotes. Its used many times a day to run farm equipment in a shop for testing. I love to design and build. I have many more things I have built but I wont ramble on about those.
IMAG0570_zps32160c98.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you've done a fine job i'd like to duplicate your dyno for my own use but have no clues on the pump size any help would really be appreciated

Bob.

I used a 4 gpm pump. A 4 or 5 gpm will work. I used a 24 tooth sprocket to keep my pump rpms below 4000 rpms. Cavitation will destroy a pump fast if the rpms are to high.

I used a 4 gpm pump. A 4 or 5 gpm will work. I used a 24 tooth sprocket to keep my pump rpms below 4000 rpms. Cavitation will destroy a pump fast if the rpms are to high.

Thanks ol mate at least now i'll know where to start thank you

Is there a size for the oil tank as a minimium as i said i'm a bit nieve

Last edited:
Thanks ol mate at least now i'll know where to start thank you

Is there a size for the oil tank as a minimium as i said i'm a bit nieve

Mine is 3 gal. It will handle 5-7 min of heavy load till the oil gets to hot. A universal trany cooler could be used in the return line back to the tank.

Mine is 3 gal. It will handle 5-7 min of heavy load till the oil gets to hot. A universal trany cooler could be used in the return line back to the tank.

Thanks again ol mate i'll make a start in the next week or so then at least i'll know whether i'm improving it or buggering it .... stick to what you been doing you have been a great inspiration ... now go and have a little fun.

Bob.

That is very impressive. I like the fact that you can pull the air filter off and see a rise in horse power in real time. It does not get any better than that.

Shouldn't you retune if you pop of the air filter? I have a feeling that the .3hp ain't just from better air flow. It's also from making the saw run leaner.

Fantastic job Chad!

There is a German testing site that has actual dyno numbers on stock saws (don't remember the site off the top of my head) Sawtroll?

This would help you better corilate your test numbers because the advertised hp numbers on saws are not real accurate as you probably know.

Home

Geprfte Motorsgen

Cool dyno mate, great build.

Back