Chainsaw Engine to run Log Splitter pump hydraulic pump??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butter_Beard

"All probability is greater than zero."
Reaction score
So, I've put Husqvarnas, Macs and even a few Homelites on gocarts, scooters, bikes, skateboards, and even once as an ersatz boat motor. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks a 101cc Husqvarna would be decent enough to run a hydraulic pump. I'm thinking of using a lovejoy coupler, and mainly because you can run a chainsaw on any axis, but you would need a vertical shaft 4 stroke otherwise, and I have many more chainsaws than I do 4 strokers. And since I know damn near zipitiy doo dah about hydraulics and fluid dynamics, I have come to you.

So...what say?

I have built a few log splitters, shop presses, tubing bender, dump trailers etc.....

I don't think a chainsaw engine would work well.
A decent size splitter 4-5" bore requires 8hp or more unless you want a very pokey splitter.
My homebrewed electric 5hp (more or less equvent to 12 plus of gas engine) has a 4.5" bore, 16gpm pump and is fast but I wouldn't want it any slower.

Log splitter pumps are 2 stage and rated for under 4000 rpm, not screaming at 10,000 or more rpm.

Think the long run times would kill a chainsaw engine pretty quick too.

You would need it on a clutch to start it, especially when it was cold. It would be expensive to run fuel wise. It would be neat if you had it set up with a clutch and rigged the throttle to engage with the hydraulic valve. That would save on the life of the pump since it wouldn't turn when you were idling. I had a small splitter that had a belt driven pump, (think cut off saw set ups).

No. Get a harbor freight predator engine for cheap bucks. I wouldn't ruin a big chainsaw engine like that.
You ever run one of those china engines? If so how long so far? My Honda GX series 13 hp has thousands of hours on it , more than I can say for the Kohler 27 on my grinder that pooped out at 780 hrs. Are twin engines generally just a bad design or what?

My Speeco splitter and Ariens snow blower have chinese engines. Not sure if they are the same build as the predators. I think I chased one of them down to the Lauson or Lawson company. They are both dependable, don't have 100's of hours on them. Honda GX or Wisconsin Robin (if they are still selling) are the best.

My Speeco splitter and Ariens snow blower have chinese engines. Not sure if they are the same build as the predators. I think I chased one of them down to the Lauson or Lawson company. They are both dependable, don't have 100's of hours on them. Honda GX or Wisconsin Robin (if they are still selling) are the best.
Totally agree on the Honda GX

I don't think a gear two stage pump could handle the RPMS or the bearings

I have bypassed the governor on one to about 5,000 RPM and it acted like it was starting to go into cavitation
But I would like to see a splitter with one on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think a gear two stage pump could handle the RPMS or the bearings

I have bypassed the governor on one to about 5,000 RPM and it acted like it was starting to go into cavitation
But I would like to see a splitter with one on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where the belt drive would make it easier to get the pump rpm back to 3600.

You ever run one of those china engines? If so how long so far? My Honda GX series 13 hp has thousands of hours on it , more than I can say for the Kohler 27 on my grinder that pooped out at 780 hrs. Are twin engines generally just a bad design or what?

just interested, what broke on the kohler 27? they have a problem with the head gasket that is close to hot muffler. the other problem is when you use them on a grinder they often are run at an angle that starves them of oil and causes ring failure and damages the bore. i've seen a big honda fail from that too. so i don't think it is a problem with the v-twin. as far as the head gasket goes, i think a big part of the problem there is that they use the same size cylinder castings from 16hp to 27hp. in the larger displacements there may no be enough "meat" at the top of the cylinder.

Personally, no, but on the firewood forum they are well thought of and frequently mentioned. For 3 hundred bucks new, I wouldn't trash out an old nice big husky.

Back