Chainsaw Experiment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead kid

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
MY 046 piston and cylinder are shot so Im putting in a BBkit. Since I won't need the old piston and cylinder I might as well blow it up.

I was thinking about some kind of experiment like running coleman lantern fuel mixed with bean oil.

Any kind of experiment you can think of?

:laugh:You guys should have fun with this one

You planning on putting in a new bottom end too?

"Do nothing which is of no use" -- Miyamoto Musashi

Last edited:
Just run Amsoil at 100:1. That way you can still send the cylinder to nmurph.

I actually quite enjoy the spirit of the thread. Some interesting gains have been had through experimentation and today's fuels seem to have some real drawbacks. I wouldn't blow up your daily driver to do it, though.

We've hashed a lot of this out in past years, but without the search function (this issue is quickly becoming a pet peeve of mine) all that good info seems lost in time.

MY 046 piston and cylinder are shot so Im putting in a BBkit. Since I won't need the old piston and cylinder I might as well blow it up.

I was thinking about some kind of experiment like running coleman lantern fuel mixed with bean oil.

Any kind of experiment you can think of?

:laugh:You guys should have fun with this one

I started a thread a while back about the possibility of running a saw on Coleman fuel and it was decided that the saw would run on it, some folks claimed to have done it in a pinch. Coleman fuel is low octane white gas, I believe the octane is only around 55. So if you want to try something odd, go that route to save your bottom end.

Buy yourself a 15.00 poulan wild thing or wood shark for the experiments. That's what li'l husky jr's are for.

mmm.......but white gas has a lower flashpoint than gasoline.........potential for a fireball saw.

Really? By that logic kerosene should cause a complete meltdown right after the saw exploded and blew your face clean off. Low flash point means it will either run and lack power or not run at all. Just my 2 cents

Back